Mouse scrolling switches desktop, gnome install broken

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msptump

Mouse scrolling switches desktop, gnome install broken

Post by msptump »

Hi,

First, let me say that Linux Mint with Fluxbox has been the best distro I've tried to date. Almost everything worked with very little tweaking (Envy with dpkg-reconfigure xorg was about all). I've been using for about 10 days, and suddenly my mouse is acting weird. When I try to scroll say, Firefox, while the mouse is within the Firefox window and the Firefox window has focus, my system scroll through workspaces. Also, right mouse click, in any app while the app has focus, will pull up the fluxbox menu. Using the ctrl and alt keys is a temporary work around, but annoying. I don't see any mouse configuration tools, which I'm thinking isn't the problem anyway, since, well, I didn't mess with that to begin with. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mouse scrolling switches desktop, gnome install broken

Post by Husse »

Sorry for late answer
I suspect hardware failure of sorts
Is it a USB mouse? PS2?
And what has gnome to do with this?
mpstump

Post by mpstump »

I almost gave up on this post. I still haven't figured out the problem. I don't think it's a hardware issue, as I installed KDE and the mouse is fine. I'm using a MS wireless mouse with scroll. I had tried to install gnome, which is a different problem, so I figured that I should put that in a different post, but I forgot to change the title of the original post. I'm betting it's a configuration thing, so I'm thinking of re-installing, but am not sure how to go about that without completely hosing my system.
Husse

Post by Husse »

When I see this type of behaviour it's generally a hardware problem. I have a cordless Logitech and just before the batteries run out I can get things like that.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

That is by design - scrolling your mouse wheel while on the desktop will change workspaces in fluxbox. Also, you can drag windows to other workspaces by dragging them to the left or right edges of the screen. The right-click menu is always available in fluxbox. The menu will also stay available until you click on the desktop again. This is also by design.

john

Return to “Software & Applications”