Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazdg24

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Post by chazdg24 »

aloysius wrote:
chazdg24 wrote: I had the same problem. In the Applet tab in the Cinnamon Settings, there is a button "Restore Default". I clicked that and everything went back in its right place.
I couldn't locate that button. Is it in 1.3.1 version only?
I have no idea - I never got that far with 1.3. I assume that is what you installed. Why would you use 1.3 with all its problems?
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

aloysius wrote:
aloysius wrote:
chazdg24 wrote: I had the same problem. In the Applet tab in the Cinnamon Settings, there is a button "Restore Default". I clicked that and everything went back in its right place.
I upgraded to 1.3.1 but "reset to default" didn't do the trick for me. :roll:
I did have to do a little "tweaking". I did a little drag and drop, but I got the Menu working just right.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I got 1.3.1 and it little bit messed my panel, some stuff moved left side. But I was able to fix it very easy after reseting to default, some draging, droping and using Cinnamon settings.
Restore to Default in Cinnamon Settings (1.3.1 only) is in Applets, under selections window where applets are.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

1.3.1. - codename "effing up your panel" :D

In dconf editor your can edit your applet placement in a more controlled and less buggy manner than drag and drop - and as soon as you find your desired applet order, don't touch a thing! things will just mess up again
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

unfortunately dragging and dropping just didnt work for me this time around...even resetting to default, while it worked with some applets, removed others entirely and when I try to place those back in the panel everything moves right back to the left side this time instead of the right...dconf editor here I come lol
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I think when you drag applets, you need to drag them as far left or right you can, then drop it.
It's gonna be little bit wrong place, but after it's correct side of panel, you can arrange them in corrent order.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

yes except the window manager applet, can't move that one at all. Would not let me move the calender applet either, and I still get a reset when i try to add applets...so right now I will have to make do without I think, or spend the time in dconf tweeking it. However, and this is of course just a feeling, I think another update will be on its way soon enough so I just may leave it as is until the next update.

Though I must add 1.3.1 seems to have a much snappier response time. I noticed a definite lag with the 1.3 update compared to 1.2, so i am pleased with that. The panel I can deal with...I use panel applets and a dock as well so I will just shift a couple things around
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

bimsebasse wrote:1.3.1. - codename "effing up your panel" :D

In dconf editor your can edit your applet placement in a more controlled and less buggy manner than drag and drop - and as soon as you find your desired applet order, don't touch a thing! things will just mess up again
I had to do it.We can move applets within three zones (left, center, right). The side ones are small, the center one is huge. Then within each zone, you can permute applet order.

Moves can be controlled, either by drag and drop (preferably with Cinnamon theme, where zones are highlighted) or with dconf.

Using dconf, on dconf/org/cinnamon/ when I tried to edit the "enabled-applets" line, I suffered an explosion at the factory. No applets died, but the dconf line went kilometers away on the right. I think old dconf is a little overwhelmed when it has to deal with so many applets.
Has somebody experimented the same problem?
mikesmithv

Post by mikesmithv »

After the update yesterday I now get what appears to be "Gnome Classic" instead of Cinnamon. It does not matter if I select "Gnome Classic", "Gnome" or "Cinnamon" at login, all three bring up the same thing. I noticed today's update was Cinnamon 1.3.1 and I was hopping that would correct this situation but after the update I got the same thing, "Gnome Classic" for all three menu selections. Any idea's on what would cause this? I tried creating a new user but logging in with a fresh home directory did the same thing. I also tried removing Cinnamon, restarted, and installed Cinnamon again - still the same problem.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

mikesmithv wrote: Any idea's on what would cause this? I tried creating a new user but logging in with a fresh home directory did the same thing. I also tried removing Cinnamon, restarted, and installed Cinnamon again - still the same problem.
Most likely it's related graphics cards.

Can you go in your system setting, system information, what does it reads there in graphics tab as driver?
if it reads fallback, then it's graphics driver thing.

Check this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p543183
mikesmithv

Post by mikesmithv »

Lumikki wrote:Can you go in your system setting, system information, what does it reads there in graphics tab as driver?
if it reads fallback, then it's graphics driver thing.
Thanks, that was it! A simple "apt remove --purge nvidia-current" did the trick. Thanks for the quick reply.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

roger64 wrote: Using dconf, on dconf/org/cinnamon/ when I tried to edit the "enabled-applets" line, I suffered an explosion at the factory. No applets died, but the dconf line went kilometers away on the right. I think old dconf is a little overwhelmed when it has to deal with so many applets.
It does that, dconf editor/window manager bug, though, not a cinnamon bug (AFAIK).
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

roger64 wrote:

I had to do it.We can move applets within three zones (left, center, right). The side ones are small, the center one is huge. Then within each zone, you can permute applet order.

Moves can be controlled, either by drag and drop (preferably with Cinnamon theme, where zones are highlighted) or with dconf.

Using dconf, on dconf/org/cinnamon/ when I tried to edit the "enabled-applets" line, I suffered an explosion at the factory. No applets died, but the dconf line went kilometers away on the right. I think old dconf is a little overwhelmed when it has to deal with so many applets.

I experienced the same thing and the only thing I know to do is copy the whole line, paste it in a text editor, edit it with the changes you want, and then paste it back in the enabled applets line :wink:
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

z06gal wrote:I experienced the same thing and the only thing I know to do is copy the whole line, paste it in a text editor, edit it with the changes you want, and then paste it back in the enabled applets line :wink:
Thanks, that did the trick for me :)

Rehdon
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

:lol: That little .1 added to 1.3 is a pita. My wifi and volume applets shot over to the left side of the screen after that update. I moved them back over to the right side, tucked them behind the battery icon, but that made my other icons on the left turn into gray blocks. Logged out and logged back in and all was well.
KBD47
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

chazdg24 wrote:
aloysius wrote:
I have no idea - I never got that far with 1.3. I assume that is what you installed. Why would you use 1.3 with all its problems?
Merely testing it on a separate installation.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Apologies if this has been mentioned. This may be a bug, or perhaps it can be fixed. When I double click an Icon on my Desktop, the program does not open. I can go down to the Menu which works fine, or right click the icon on the Desktop to open the program. Any suggestions or is this a bug?
Thaskalas

Post by Thaskalas »

Clem and gang,

I am LOVING Cinnamon!!!! I have been hoping that you guys would dump what Gnome is doing and come up with your own solution. I know this is a small thing, but it is something that I really LOVE about Cinnamon: I love being able to drag an internet shortcut to my desktop on my Winbloze desktop at work, trying to do this with any 'nix desktop UI out there has never worked, it does however work Beautifully in Cinnamon!

Keep up the FANTASTIC work with all of the Minty Goodness!
Thas
bit101

Post by bit101 »

SidharthaXx wrote:Just to feedback... issues I'm seeing with Cinnamon 1.3,

1. Alt + F2 then "r" is not working anymore... "command not found"

2. The power manager applet (battery icon for my laptop) keeps disappearing (after sleep mainly I have noticed). I have to keep rebooting the applet to see it.
open dconf-editor

go to org / cinnamon

make sure development-tools is checked.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

MainMenu (alacarte) bug.

Unable to delete entries on the main menu display for Cinnamon.

This has been reported to me on a French forum.

Using Cinnamon 1.3.1, you cannot delete entries in the Menu. We should be able to do it the classical way using alacarte and unticking the concerned entry, it does not work. Opening /usr/share/applications and deleting manually the entry does not work either -I did not forget to reload the shell, or to open a new session to make the changes available.

But, if you log as a different user, and open a MGSE session, you can delete entries normally.

I tried to delete the entry "Epiphany" and failed. I suspect it's a real Cinnamon bug.

Return to “Cinnamon”