Comparison: XFCE vs MATE (Gnome 2)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
MikeF90000

Re: Comparison: XFCE vs MATE (Gnome 2)

Post by MikeF90000 »

@sanda, Thanks for your quick feedback.
sanda wrote:During daily use, do you actually utilize "workspaces"?
Heck yes, Windows XP doesn't have them and that's very annoying.
You'll notice that I defined three - two for regular apps and one for 'background' stuff like media players, terminal window etc. Enough for me.
sanda wrote:That panel icon of a speaker, izzit the "xfce4-mixer"? "xfce4-volman"? Whatever, I'd choose an alternative to the suxor xfce4 wolume control widget.
It's the default - xfce4-mixer. Simple volume control. Not that important yet.
sanda wrote: My Windows (XP) doesn't have, has never had a "top-of-window" taskbar. IMO, such top-of-screen placement is ergonomically incorrect.
I despise WinXP use of one bottom panel for everything including 'window buttons', compounding the single workspace problem. Notice that the top panel is Not used for launchers - just status type stuff. It is also thinner (20 pixels).
Everything frequently used is grouped toward the middle of the bottom panel - less mouse movement.

An alternative for 16x9 screens that I'm testing is to put the 'launcher' panel on the side and the 'status' panel on the bottom or top.
BTW autohiding sh** on a desktop display drives me nuts.
sanda wrote: Also, if I were stuck sitting in front of a display where the clock counted off SECONDS... I'd slap some electrical tape (er, a paper post-it) atop that distraction in short order.
That's nitpicking. :) Very small and non-distracting to me. If you want 'distracting' remember the old CDE screenshots where EVERY SINGLE ONE had a large analog clock widget running - now THAT'S distracting ....

At any rate - XFCE 4.8 rocks! :!:
Last edited by MikeF90000 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Here's another alternate layout, perhaps better for widescreen monitors:
xfce4.8-alt.jpg
The workspace switcher and session menu button are in the upper left now.
The vertical panel has app launcher and directory menu buttons in groups, most used higher up and closer to an active app menu bar.

In search of ... less mouse movement ... :)
dbkblk

Post by dbkblk »

If you want less movements, you can also use synapse or gnome-do ^^

Return to “LMDE Archive”