Default DE for LMDE for Update pack 4?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Default DE for LMDE for Update pack 4?

Post by voss749 »

Im hoping we might consider some sort of "easy install" menu for cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dbkblk

Re: Default DE for LMDE for Update pack 4?

Post by dbkblk »

That would be nice. However, cinnamon don't seem ready to be the defaut desktop -for non english speakers- as it is untranslated (at least, in french).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The question in the thread's title seems to diverge from its contents. :D
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

I haven't read much about Cinnamon, since it is for regular LM, but I'm curious; is it a minimal DE or is it something huge like KDE and Gnome? Since this crawls with any OS that has KDE or Gnome, I kinda want to know if Cinnamon is going to slow me down or not if it does come out for LMDE. XFCE allows me to speed along compared with the KDE/Gnomes.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

bootmakr wrote:I haven't read much about Cinnamon, since it is for regular LM, but I'm curious; is it a minimal DE or is it something huge like KDE and Gnome? Since this crawls with any OS that has KDE or Gnome, I kinda want to know if Cinnamon is going to slow me down or not if it does come out for LMDE. XFCE allows me to speed along compared with the KDE/Gnomes.
I (personally) find Cinnamon snappier and more responsive than gnome 3, but it is a fork of gnome shell so it is going to need somewhat good hardware... I find it speed wise like gnome 2. If gnome 2 was slow, I would stick with xfce. Cinnamon was designed for mid to high level machines, whereas XFCE/LXDE are designed for older/low end machines.

Return to “LMDE Archive”