Default DE for LMDE for Update pack 4?

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Default DE for LMDE for Update pack 4?

Postby voss749 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Im hoping we might consider some sort of "easy install" menu for cinnamon.
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Default DE for LMDE for Update pack 4?

Postby dbkblk on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm

That would be nice. However, cinnamon don't seem ready to be the defaut desktop -for non english speakers- as it is untranslated (at least, in french).
dbkblk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 am

The question in the thread's title seems to diverge from its contents. :D
Monsta
Level 9
Level 9

Postby bootmakr on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:38 pm

I haven't read much about Cinnamon, since it is for regular LM, but I'm curious; is it a minimal DE or is it something huge like KDE and Gnome? Since this crawls with any OS that has KDE or Gnome, I kinda want to know if Cinnamon is going to slow me down or not if it does come out for LMDE. XFCE allows me to speed along compared with the KDE/Gnomes.
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cwwgateway on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 am

bootmakr wrote:I haven't read much about Cinnamon, since it is for regular LM, but I'm curious; is it a minimal DE or is it something huge like KDE and Gnome? Since this crawls with any OS that has KDE or Gnome, I kinda want to know if Cinnamon is going to slow me down or not if it does come out for LMDE. XFCE allows me to speed along compared with the KDE/Gnomes.

I (personally) find Cinnamon snappier and more responsive than gnome 3, but it is a fork of gnome shell so it is going to need somewhat good hardware... I find it speed wise like gnome 2. If gnome 2 was slow, I would stick with xfce. Cinnamon was designed for mid to high level machines, whereas XFCE/LXDE are designed for older/low end machines.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Update Packs Repositories