Why bother with Mint 12?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
learst

Re: Why bother with Mint 12?

Post by learst »

Anomaly wrote:I can see many Mint users being lost when they start using Mint 12. They won't get any help from the user guide since there isn't one for Mint 12. The link on the welcome page leads to the user guide for Mint 11 and thats usless for Gnome 3 Shell Mint 12.

I like Gnome 3 Shell. I use it on Ubuntu instead of Unity so I haven't had any problems adjusting on Mint 12 but it seems out of place when you consider what Mint 11 was like and what Mint 13 will probably be like. In a few years when you look back at the prevoius releases Mint 12 will look like an odd ball release imo.
i was using Ubuntu 10.10 and then switched to LM 12 after a major crash. Indeed, for something that is touted as newbie-friendly, I do not find it as such compared to when I started with ubuntu 10.04. I guess this could also be attributed to my first exposure to Gnome 3, which I'm still not really getting used to. The lack of documentation for LM 12 is another hurdle, since a lot of things epxlained in the LM 11 documentation are now quite different.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Too many people, in my estimation, are afraid of new and different things. This can be a real problem because most of life's greatest learning opportunities are tied to new and different experiences. Embrace the new. Cherish the different. These are the best teachers.
I'm not so sure. I do agree that people should try new stuff more, before judging it, because they can learn something.

How ever, if you know what you want, you don't need to try something what doesn't fit the requirements of the person's needs.
While most the time "new" could be better, that's not allways the case. Also getting new experience isn't allways better choice.

Example you don't have to try drugs, to know that it's not good for you. People can also look base idea of something and make decissions without trying.
Some people try a lot of stuff and some people consider more carefully situations. We people are different we should not be put into same mold.

I do how ever, agree that just been stubborn and not try anything different isn't that good. Unless you really know that something isn't for you.
Also don't allways believe what others say, but try your self. When something is based personal taste or values, others experince has very little value.
Good example is movies, we people have very different tastes. Some may say that's good movie, while you self think after seen it, it was bad.
We all are different and don't have same values, liking or needs, so one rule doesn't fit to everyone.

So, while we should cherish the possibilities what differences gives us, we should not force everyone into same mold, because of it.

Point been lets allow everyone make they own choices, do they want to skip or try or use Mint 12. It's they own choice to make.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: Re: Why bother with Mint 12?

Post by marcus0263 »

outfieldgrass wrote:
Aging Technogeek wrote: Too many people, in my estimation, are afraid of new and different things. This can be a real problem because most of life's greatest learning opportunities are tied to new and different experiences. Embrace the new. Cherish the different. These are the best teachers.
This is agree with as well. Everybody needs to give Gnome 3 a try. Never know....might just like it.

Sent from a remote location using Tapatalk
I did along with Unity, I dislike immensely both. They are a good tablet interface but fail miserably on the desktop when you need to get any work done.

I'm keeping my eye on Cinnamon and it's making great progress. When it's ready and reaches the functionality of Gnome 2 I'll make the move, until that time I cannot afford the loss.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

As a new Linux user myself, I have to say I am glad I chose Mint 12 to start off. The experience I am gaining by using this release, and Cinnamon(which I really like) is invaluable. Just think, even though I don't have much to contribute at this time, I and other noobs like me have joined in what I consider to be an exciting time for Gnome desktops. We can ride the wave of development in ways we would not be able to with gnome 2 or even KDE at this point.

That being said, after trying a number of distros, and installing Ubuntu LTS in my father's PC, lmde on my mother's pc, and Mint 12 KDE on my friends laptop, there is no other distro I would rather be using right now than Mint 12, sweet Lisa, and all she has taught me. And I can hardly wait until Mint 13, which I will then push on all friends and install on all side projects that can handle the system requirements.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

Sammaul wrote:As a new Linux user myself, I have to say I am glad I chose Mint 12 to start off. The experience I am gaining by using this release, and Cinnamon(which I really like) is invaluable. Just think, even though I don't have much to contribute at this time, I and other noobs like me have joined in what I consider to be an exciting time for Gnome desktops. We can ride the wave of development in ways we would not be able to with gnome 2 or even KDE at this point.

That being said, after trying a number of distros, and installing Ubuntu LTS in my father's PC, lmde on my mother's pc, and Mint 12 KDE on my friends laptop, there is no other distro I would rather be using right now than Mint 12, sweet Lisa, and all she has taught me. And I can hardly wait until Mint 13, which I will then push on all friends and install on all side projects that can handle the system requirements.
Yeah, I'm also new Linux user my self. Started in beging of this year. I also did choose Linux Mint 12 (Lisa). I also tryed few others, mostly different Mints, but in the end I find Mint 12 stable enough for my use. More important I use Cinnamon desktop enviroment, because I like it and it will be default DE in next Mint 13. So, as new linux user I can learn the default DE from start to main Mint distribution.

I have tryed so far Linux Mint 12 MGSE, Mint 12 Cinnamon, Mint 12 KDE, LMDE 11, Mint Fluxbox 9, Ubuntu 11.10. In pass many years ago, I have tryed Debian, Red Hat, Mandrake. Also I had while Smootwall firewall running. Back those day's I wasn't ready for Linux desktop use. Now situation has change when Windows DE development goes different direction where I want to go.

I see often someone recommend some new Linux user to install some older Gnome 2 based Mint distribution. How ever, as far I have seen this is more what these people think is better and more stable, than actually thinking what's better for new linux user in long run. I can understand they consern that some new linux user can just give up, when first issue happens. How ever, I would my self always recommend first to try Mint 12 and it's different desktops. If after that they aren't liking it or has issues, then go to older version, where the software is more mature.

It's almost impossible to know how someones hardware works with sertain distributions. Some have no issues and some can't even get anyting work right. But I don't see reason to start some older distribution without first knowing does the newer work for them. Mostly because while older distribution are great and works better, in the end of day they have no future in long run. Because someday they will need to be replaced, it's just question when they become too old. I my self used almost decade Windows 2000 pro to end of year 2010. Because it was better to me than newer Windows. Then I tryed year for Windows XP and Windows 7, because Windows 2000 pro was too old, but these new Windows where not for me. So I just decided to go Linux direction. How ever, I don't see any reason to go older Linux version as long the new Mint 12 Cinnamon works fine for me.

I'm sure Clem would never even made Mint 12, if Clem doesn't believe it's ready to be used by all people.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
JayKay3000

Post by JayKay3000 »

I actually got bored of the old Gnome 2 menu in the previous versions of mint so Mint 12 was breath of fresh air for me and has converted me back to using mint as the primary OS on my laptop.
rfry85

Post by rfry85 »

I wonder where gnome and it's spinoffs are going period, after reading this http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120402.
Unless it's just another april fools day joke!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

rfry85 wrote:I wonder where gnome and it's spinoffs are going period, after reading this http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120402.
Unless it's just another april fools day joke!
April fools joke is what that is :wink: :D

I myself, have always liked mint, have used it and by the way, like Cinnamon very much...However, unlike some here, though i initially didn't think i would like unity (because i approached it with a negative attitude from some of the comments i read, similiar to the ones that appear in this thread...But then 2 weeks later i came back and tried it again with an open mind and positive attitude and within about 2 weeks or so really began to like and appreciate it...now, 2 months later on ubuntu 11.10 i must say that it's become my favorite desktop environment and i find it VERY PRODUCTIVE and intuitive to work with...

To each his own :wink:
rfry85

Post by rfry85 »

My problem is I like all the desktops! I like kde for its customization, I like Unity except for some extra mouse clicking, I like Bodhi's enlightenment desktop for its beauty and speed, but I'm leaning toward Gnome 3 for productivity. I am especially excited about gnome 3.4 with its new "Boxes" for vpc's and it's new file search from the activities screen. But at the base of most of these desktops, I love Mint. It is an outstanding distro!
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

:lol: That was a GREAT article, perfect for April Fools, and given the trend in desktop computing...maybe even reasonably accurate?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Sammaul wrote::lol: That was a GREAT article, perfect for April Fools, and given the trend in desktop computing...maybe even reasonably accurate?
Yeah - this reminds me of when I was in school, we used to read articles where they would talk about strange tribes - the one I remember well is the ASU tribe. The article talked about Racs and how these things are strange, cause damage, and don't really help. At the end we realized that ASU was USA backwards and "Rac" was car backwards. The articles put a very different perspectives on things, although they would focus on the negative points of what we (the Americans) do. This is sort of what this article did - it put a different perspective on gnome 3 using a different name - gnome 4. And I got a lot out of it (what really reminded me of ASU was the MATE dev's name spelled backwards). Neat article. They should have mentioned the ubuntu eyewear, though :D . Gnome 4 would have been perfect on sunglasses :wink: .

Return to “Non-technical Questions”