Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 10)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 10)

Post by antiquexray »

bimsebasse wrote:Try with the applet instead: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17

copy into ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/

reset cinnamon (alt+f2+r)

enable in cinnamon settings under applets
This is what I did, step by step

download the applet from the above address to my download folder

unzipped it

copied it

went to my home folder and control+h

opened .local/share/cinnamon/applets and pasted the folder

logged out and back in

went cinnamon settings>applets and click the weather

opened the gnome weather shell conf and assured my woeid was correct per yahoo weather

logged out and back in

nothing.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

:( No idea what's going wrong - and you are in Cinnamon and not in Gnome Shell or Gnome Classic?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

bimsebasse wrote::( No idea what's going wrong - and you are in Cinnamon and not in Gnome Shell or Gnome Classic?
I'm using Cinnamon
crzen

Post by crzen »

Do this step by step for the weather “APPLET” (weather “EXTENSION” is done differently):

Download the weather applet from "here" to your downloads folder.
Open your downloads folder.
Unzip (extract) the downloaded file to the desktop.
Goto your desktop.
Open the “cinnamon-weather” folder you just created.

***IMPORTANT***
Run “cleanup.sh” in a terminal entering root password as required (clears any previous installs)
Run “install.sh” in a terminal entering root password as required (This does more than just copy the files into /applets (read the “install.sh” code)).

Press alt/F2, type r, press enter to restart cinnamon (instead of logging out and back in).
Open cinnamon settings-->applets and activate “cinnamon weather” by clicking its check-box.

The weather applet should now be in the panel (If not, restart cinnamon as above).
Click the weather applet in the panel and then click the gears in the upper right corner of the applet popup box (opens a popup window).
Enter your WOEID (or zip code if US) and press enter. Set other parameters as needed.
Close the popup window.
Drag n' drop the applet to where you want it placed. If placed in bottom panel then press alt/F2, type r, press enter to restart cinnamon or the popup will open in the wrong direction.

When all is working you can go ahead and delete the “cinnamon-weather” folder from your desktop and the downloaded file from your downloads folder.

That should be all that needs to be done.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

crzen wrote:Do this step by step for the weather “APPLET” (weather “EXTENSION” is done differently):
Drag n' drop the applet to where you want it placed. If placed in bottom panel then press alt/F2, type r, press enter to restart cinnamon or the popup will open in the wrong direction.

When all is working you can go ahead and delete the “cinnamon-weather” folder from your desktop and the downloaded file from your downloads folder.

That should be all that needs to be done.
I now have the weather in the bottom panel and configured, however, not without some problems.

1st It's on the left and I cannot move it to the right
2nd I cannot use the alt+f2 then r. I'm using a dell mini and it doesn't do a thing so I logged out and back in
3rd I still have the gnome-weather, which is different from this one you walked me though. How do I get rid of that.

****************HOLD ON****************************

I figured out how to move it and how to enable the alt+f2. All I have to do is get rid of the gnome weather on the main menu

****************HOLD ON AGAIN*******************

Got this figured out too.

BTW, thanks so much for helping.
crzen

Post by crzen »

1st I cannot use the alt+f2 then r. I'm using a dell mini and it doesn't do a thing so I log out and back in
Look in dconf -->org -->cinnamon and make sure "development-tools" is checked
2nd I still have the gnome-weather, which is different from this one you walked me though. How do I get rid of that.
Open cinnamon settings --> extensions and uncheck any weather extension(s).
Goto /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/ and delete any weather extension(s).
Goto ~/.local/share/cinnamon/extensions/ and delete any weather extension(s).
I'm not sure where all the weather configuration settings/files are to remove them. I would open nautilus and do a search for the weather configuration files and do it that way unless someone else knows a better way to do it. Otherwise you will still have the menu entry for weather configuration but it wont do anything.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

crzen wrote:
1st I cannot use the alt+f2 then r. I'm using a dell mini and it doesn't do a thing so I log out and back in
Look in dconf -->org -->cinnamon and make sure "development-tools" is checked
2nd I still have the gnome-weather, which is different from this one you walked me though. How do I get rid of that.
Open cinnamon settings --> extensions and uncheck any weather extension(s).
Goto /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/ and delete any weather extension(s).
Goto ~/.local/share/cinnamon/extensions/ and delete any weather extension(s).
I'm not sure where all the weather configuration settings/files are to remove them. I would open nautilus and do a search for the weather configuration files and do it that way unless someone else knows a better way to do it. Otherwise you will still have the menu entry for weather configuration but it wont do anything.
My edit of an edit must have passed your last email in cyberspace because I figured that last out too. As far as dconfig I went and checked that on for future use, but my fix was to reload Ubuntu Tweak and fix what I broke when it was loaded the first time. After that I could edit the keyboard shortcut. As fas as removing the extension, I did it through terminal with sudo remove.

Thanks again
Pogo

1b. Create desktop launchers

Post by Pogo »

I am trying to create desktop Icons for programs.

I have managed to follow the steps in "1b. Create desktop launchers" but cannot save save the gedit file to the stated /.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ location as such location does not exist any where in the files system.

I have gone through each subfolder in the / filesystem & have not located the folder. I have also tried to search for this folder, again no result was returned.

I have also tried to create the folders, but get a permission denied error message. From the computer icon and file system view, the option to create new folder is not available either.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Create it if it doesn't exist
esteban1uy

Re: 1b. Create desktop launchers

Post by esteban1uy »

Pogo wrote:I am trying to create desktop Icons for programs.

I have managed to follow the steps in "1b. Create desktop launchers" but cannot save save the gedit file to the stated /.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ location as such location does not exist any where in the files system.

I have gone through each subfolder in the / filesystem & have not located the folder. I have also tried to search for this folder, again no result was returned.

I have also tried to create the folders, but get a permission denied error message. From the computer icon and file system view, the option to create new folder is not available either.
Open a terminal from the menu and execute the following command:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p .gnome2/nautilus-scripts
Now you'll have the right directory in your personal folder, follow the the instructions at 1b.
Please note that the path pointed at those instructions refers to a hidden folder inside your own personal folder.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Thanks esteban1uy!

How do I make icons that use two words in the name, such as image viewer?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Pogo wrote:Thanks esteban1uy!

How do I make icons that use two words in the name, such as image viewer?
Just right-click on the launcher and select "Rename" from the popup menu.
nomko

Post by nomko »

This post is mainly intended for the admin's/mod's here:

After the first post wasn't it smart to make this thread sticky and close it? Now it is 291 pages large with as much tips and tricks. For newbie's it is way too much to go through finding the right tip/trick. Even I suffer this problem finding a solution or tip, this thread has become too much now. After 3 pages this thread is lossing my attention.

Wasn't it better to create a new post under the section Tutorials / Howtos to make every tip/trick/hint/solution findable?

Do not mistake me, i'm not ranting here. I'm asking if it is possible to close this thread and just keep it to the first post?

Thank you!
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Well... the only things I have to read to get every possible tip are just the first 5 paragraphs of the first post. Do you really need to read the whole thread to find certain tip?
I think the rest of the posts are mostly dealing with some problems and special cases, that makes interesting to keep the thread open.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes, the guide is the first post, not the 14 pages following it, I think that's obvious to most users...

If a useful tip or a correction to a tip was in the discussion pages, it was added to the first post, as hinted at several times in the discussion.
sak-venom1997

Post by sak-venom1997 »

is there any way to make the windows transparent like in aero of win 7 without using compiz!
thanks in advance ...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes but not easily. There is a focus extension for Gnome Shell which allows e.g. transparency in focused windows - that would of course only work in MGSE and not in Cinnamon.

Link: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/gnome-sh ... nsion.html
catalin

Post by catalin »

I've recently changed from Ubuntu to Linux Mint and I must say that I love it. But... the notifications are pretty annoying. Is there a way to set the notifications to be like in Ubuntu? Like right sided in some bubles, rather than in the bottom of the screen ?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

With Cinnamon, yes, not with the default Mint 12 session (which uses Gnome Shell)
msx_

1.J. - Remove MATE altogether (ADDENDUM)

Post by msx_ »

To completely remove every trace of nasty MATE from Linux Mint 13 Maya RC issue this command at terminal:

$ sudo apt-get purge $(dpkg -l|grep mate|cut -d " " -f3)

Cinnamon rulez! :twisted:

Return to “Tutorials”