CGI Scripts in Mint Menu

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

CGI Scripts in Mint Menu

Post by seba »

Hi guys,

When i just looked in my Mint Menu I saw a program called CGI Scripts.
It's new to me and I am sure i did not install it myself, also not as a dependency for something else.
Could someone tell me what it's for? If I open it, I get a window with at the top "Configure.______KDE Control Module".
Is it something that was installed as an update? I have not changed the update settings, they are still default; 1, 2 and 3 packages.
Could it be that while I was trying out different features in Amarok, this has come up?
Once again, I KNOW I didn't install it myself and I am a bit worried how it has come on my laptop and in the Mint Menu.
Thanks for any help.

edit; As it is in the Mint Menu, is it a part of the regular updates?
Could someone reply/confirm if they also have it gotten recently?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
Husse

Re: CGI Scripts in Mint Menu

Post by Husse »

That's odd...
CGI is Common Gateway Interface
and is a protocol for webservers....
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

Husse, I've found out, I have made a 'mistake' myself.
While using Envy I downloaded and installed the necessary dependencies for it and I think this is why I have CGI Scripts in the Mint Menu.
If I point my mouse over CGI Scripts in the Mint Menu, there is a textbox with 'CGI Scripts - Configure the CGI KIO Slave'.
I Googled on 'Envy_CGI_KIO_slave' but this gives me information I know nothing about.
Could you confirm this is a 'normal' program and actually necessary?

Edit;
I have just done a fresh installation of Mint Main Edition and used the 'Restricted drivers manager' instead of Envy.
Again I have CGI Scripts in the Mint Menu.
In your post, you wrote it was "Odd" as it is used for webservers (which I don't use).
Now that I have a fresh install, updated and only the restricted driver installed, is it still odd or normal?
Thanks, Seba
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's still odd - and maybe not :) It seems that CGI KIO Slave is some app to let
experienced Linux Users to use the power of CGI/Bash/Konqueror for their own
scripts.
So this may be something from a script used to install something (sorry for the vagueness)
I'll move this to the KDE section
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

Is there ANYONE who can explain why I am the ONLY one (as it seems) who has CGI Scripts installed after a fresh install.
I have installed Mint 4.0 Main Edition, the updates for it, (1,2 and 3 updates only) and the restricted driver (nVidia 100.14)

How come I have a program installed which is normally used by, as Husse wrote, ; "experienced Linux Users to use the power of CGI/Bash/Konqueror for their own scripts".
Is there anyone who can explain this ????
Please, I am new to Linux, I only started using it last december and now I am the only one who has this program installed?
I really like Mint so I will pursue an explanation for this. I hope somebody can answer on this forum. (Other fora where I posted about this still don't know).
Can someone also explain why this is a KDE-specific question?

Thanks, Seba
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry I mad a mistake when reading
Configure.______KDE Control Module"
On average I post 18 posts a day, but some days almost nothing so I may not have read carefully enough.
I followed the KDE track not noticing that you were talking about minMenu which is for the main edition.
Experienced user - I was thinking it could be a remnant from Envy or some such
Your guess about Amarok is good, it is a KDE app
I think I have to call for help. There should not be an item cgi in the menu, but I'm convinced it's nothing dangerous
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

I've got this in my menu too, along with three other items from kde, i just assumed the were to do with amarok.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

Thanks Husse,

I was worried about this because I am a novice and because of the confusion.
Glad to read it's not dangerous and that it just should not be in the Mint Menu.
Thanks for the explanation.
Could you mark my post as 'Solved' so that others are not worried when they read this.
Have a nice day,

Cheers, Seba
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I think they come from Amarok dependencies. They were hidden in Daryna but an update of kdelibs or something must have shown them again. It's just bad packaging really.. these KDE libs assume you're running KDE and consequently register menu items which you don't really want.

The problem will go away in Elyssa as Amarok will be replaced by Rhythmbox and these KDE libs won't be present anymore. Still... for people using KDE software in Gnome it would be a good thing if KDE packages could be packaged in a more modular way.

Clem

Return to “Other topics”