missing "Log out" button.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rayandrews

missing "Log out" button.

Post by rayandrews »

All,

Did the routine upgrade last night and the strangest thing has happened. It might not have actually been caused by the upgrade, or maybe it was. Anyway, I have Ctrl+Alt+Del set to bring up the "Shut down this system now" dialogue, but the "Log out" button has vanished! The "Cancel" button is still there as always. Is this some configuration issue or did the "Log out" button somehow get deleted? I have a backup install that's fine so if it should be the case that the button itself has been deleted somehow, if I knew where these buttons were stored (if they are in fact seperate things, as I expect they are), then I could restore it easily. This is of course with the std. Gnome coming with LMDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Morrog

Re: missing "Log out" button.

Post by Morrog »

this once worked for me (though it might not be the same problem). you can try and see if it brings the button back.
Morrog wrote:fixed it with solution found here

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/pam.d/common-session
after the line

session   required   pam_unix.so
insert this

session optional        pam_loginuid.so
save, logout (or restart) and the shutdown option is back in the main menu, pressing the power button brings back the shutdown dialog and users-admin is again editable
rayandrews

Re: missing "Log out" button.

Post by rayandrews »

Morrog wrote:this once worked for me (though it might not be the same problem). you can try and see if it brings the button back.
Morrog wrote:fixed it with solution found here

sudo nano /etc/pam.d/common-session
after the line

session   required   pam_unix.so
insert this

session optional        pam_loginuid.so
save, logout (or restart) and the shutdown option is back in the main menu, pressing the power button brings back the shutdown dialog and users-admin is again editable
Morrog,

Thanks, but it's turned out to be redundant. I trashed my install by converting my repos from 'latest' to 'testing' which installed Gnome 3, which won't work, so I've had to restore the whole install from a backup.

Return to “LMDE Archive”