Getting Involved

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mad2

Getting Involved

Post by mad2 »

Hello everyone,

I am really wanting to get involved in the LMDE project however possible. I've read the page about getting involved but im not sure where to go from there. I guess im asking how to get started in the project. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

thanks for the time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Getting Involved

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

It helps to know what experience you have and what area you want to get into :wink: Technical skills like programming, package building, testing, those kind of things. Becoming active on the LMDE forums is a good first step:
  • help others solve their problems;
  • write tutorials/howto's here or on the community website;
  • help test new update packs ahead of time by switching to the "incoming" repo (see here, and the LMDE FAQ, for more info).
mad2

Post by mad2 »

Thanks for the response. I have some experience building packages and I have reported bugs in the past. I have somewhat limited programming experience. I am currently studying computer science and I see myself learning a lot of programming in the near future. I enjoy testing and I am currently pointing to the incoming repos. I am trying to post more and answer questions on the forums as of late and I also enjoy making artwork. Maybe that would be a good way to start getting into the project more?

thanks again
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I know more testers on incoming are always welcome, especially if you have a bit tenacity to also try and resolve/workaround the problems you find. Contributing there would be much appreciated I think :wink:

There is also an online chat for Linux Mint, you may want to hang out there also. Just open XChat from the menu and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-chat (general chat) and #linuxmint-debian (support with other LMDE users).

As for programming, if you know JavaScript, Cinnamon (Gnome 3 Shell fork, developed by the Linux Mint team) will be coming to LMDE soon also. Cinnamon is heavily under development and there is a call out for developers to work on applets and extensions to give it more functionality. There are a lot of request from users on new functionality, like here (that one would be a good project to get started with, as you can take the existing Gnome applet and rewrite it to a Cinnamon applet).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

More on programming: you can also help developing MATE (if you don't mind an oldschool desktop which is a Gnome 2 fork :)), or try porting some apps from Ubuntu (for example, jockey-gtk).

Return to “LMDE Archive”