Mint 13 XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Mint 13 XFCE

Yes
74%
No
16%
May be
9%

Total votes: 116

gn2

Re: Mint 13 XFCE

Post by gn2 »

sunewbie wrote:I tried Ubuntu based distros and I have not found 'ignore apps' feature in Ubuntu or it's derivatives, except Mint.
You can do what you ask with Synaptic, in the menu under Package you will find Lock Version.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

gn2 wrote:
sunewbie wrote:I tried Ubuntu based distros and I have not found 'ignore apps' feature in Ubuntu or it's derivatives, except Mint.
You can do what you ask with Synaptic, in the menu under Package you will find Lock Version.
Thanks. It is always good to install Synaptic (not included in 11.10) by default.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Didn't know that, I'm an LTS man ;)
nobody813

Post by nobody813 »

I would really like for their to be an XFCE edition of Linux Mint. I'm typing this from Xubuntu 11.10, which I've got running on my netbook. Performance is good, and it's about the first time I've felt comfortable in any Ubuntu distribution

To be honest, if we never got Linux Mint XFCE, I would like it that in the Software Manager you have both the generic and Linux Mint versions of KDE/LXDE/XFCE. This would be a great thing I believe, as I personally don't like the generic LXDE desktop, but very much like Mint LXDE. Same goes for XFCE in many ways; I like the look and feel Mint XFCE
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Thanks for the support :)
titus

Post by titus »

Yes please, I can't get on with Gnome and I always install xfce. The latest editions of Mint are making this difficult (see my post) so I would be grateful for an up-to-date, Ubuntu based Mint with an xfce desktop.
This is written on LMDE xfce.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Looks like the support is increasing. Hope Clem will spot this post :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

My opinion...

I use LMDE-XFCE,but prefer a Ubuntu based XFCE (boots faster and a lot of stuff easier to find info/tweaks/packages on Ubuntu/Xubuntu)(Not always work on straight Debian) :(

Would love to see something like a 'Core Mint Edition' with codex, Mint Update, Mint Backup (the stuff that makes mint Mint) Built around their Software center Not sure if all that stuff can be installed without a DE? And have Mint software center install everything else (Main DE's installed as Meta Packs ect.)

My fantasy distro
J.Jay
nobody813

Post by nobody813 »

That'd be an awesome idea

I also thought (though not possible) would be like the Windows Vista/7 disks where all versions are unlocked. For example, you'd be prompted before installing anything which DE you would like as the primary DE, and if you'd like others installed too. If that was possible, I think it would be epic, but that will never happen...

I'll be trying the new LMDE XFCE build just posted a few hours ago, to see hat it's like, but I will always (for now) prefer an Ubuntu based OS

Phoronix has done some tests on 3D an system performance with different DE's. LXDE and XFCE came out on top most times. Another reason why this should get a look in
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Forgot to state

LXDE is a great core to install XFCE on (alas 32bit only) Would like core 64bit also :wink:

"Its easier to install up from a lighter DE than down from a heavier DE! (specifically as some Gnome stuff likes to take over system if not careful(nautilus cough cough :P ) and know what conflicts to make adjustments/removals ect.

That why I would love to see Fluxbox on LMDE (again probably 32bit only tho) :(

J.Jay
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

nobody813 wrote:That'd be an awesome idea

I also thought (though not possible) would be like the Windows Vista/7 disks where all versions are unlocked. For example, you'd be prompted before installing anything which DE you would like as the primary DE, and if you'd like others installed too. If that was possible, I think it would be epic, but that will never happen...

I'll be trying the new LMDE XFCE build just posted a few hours ago, to see hat it's like, but I will always (for now) prefer an Ubuntu based OS

Phoronix has done some tests on 3D an system performance with different DE's. LXDE and XFCE came out on top most times. Another reason why this should get a look in
Are you talking about Hybride. it's ubuntu based and offers many DE's. It laos has Grub repair, Ubiquity repair. So when you are going for dual boot, then it will back up win bootloader and then install grub2
jjaythomas wrote:"Its easier to install up from a lighter DE than down from a heavier DE! (specifically as some Gnome stuff likes to take over system if not careful(nautilus cough cough ) and know what conflicts to make adjustments/removals ect.
Agree. Some of them have same opinion. Hey but we are talking of tweaked *Minted" XFCE, which Clem and Co will do it. So I leave it to them whether they build upon LXDE or Gnome3 / UNITY. I trust these guys and I am sure they will come up with something very minty fresh, *if at all they build XFCE edition.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Thanks for this poll. I know I can try Xubuntu or LMDX or install XFCE via synaptic on any Mint edition. I tried them all and I keep coming back to Ubuntu based Mint editions. LXDE for the moment, but since things got changed I tried a dozen of distros and not really satisfied. I just would like to get my Ubuntu based Mint XFCE back.
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hypersphere »

I would be in favor of LM 13 Xfce as long as there will also be LM 13 KDE. Thanks.
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from the mini.iso and added xfce4, lightdm and synaptic for a super lean install.

I am Astonished how fast it boots up! This performance will really benefit LM13.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Check out the articles (google,duck duck ect.)
minimal Xubuntu.
and add/configure to my hearts content (When have time)

The distrowatch one and the one by "Denny Halim" are dated but still work great (tried 11.10 but not 12.04 yet :P )
they make Xubuntu even better (using lightDM, and the restricted extras meta package).
Then make a 'bare metal backup' (I use remastery or the redo distro :wink: )

Fun Stuff
J.Jay
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Interestingly, there is a mint-info-xfce in the Maya Repos. While this doesn't necessarily mean that there's going to be an xfce version (there was a mint-info-fluxbox for Mints 10,11, and 12 and there was a mint-info-xfce for mint 10), it is a good sign.
Last edited by cwwgateway on Sat May 05, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

cwwgateway wrote:Interestingly, there is a mint-info-xfce in the Maya Repos. While this doesn't necessarily mean that there's going to be an xfce version (there was a mint-meta-fluxbox for Mints 10,11, and 12 and there was a mint-meta-xfce for mint 10), it is a good sign.
It is definitely a good sign :)
Last edited by sunewbie on Sun May 06, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Hi friends

Good news

After 40-42 days, I got an email reply from Clem.

He said that they are planning Mint 13 XFCE :mrgreen:

BTW, Clem also stated in one of the comments that he is planning XFCE and KDE edition of Mint 13

sad about LXDE edition. it will R.I.P. It served different purpose. Never wanted Mint LXDE to die.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I wish for mint 13 xfce to be actually lightweight. Like MikeF90000's comment about installing straight xfce (i.e. window manager, thunar and panel, not much more), which I did on debian squeeze too.

mint 12 lxde (and mint 9 lxde before it) was the most advanced, easy and fast OS for old hardware or netbooks. not having to wait for just a menu, terminal window or file manager, as it should be. it can also be installed on a 4GB SSD, which in my opinion should be a goal for mint 13 xfce. provide exaile, abiword, leafpad etc., with full codecs and flash, java as usual ; you can prompt users to upgrade to libreoffice on welcome screen.

I then can add lxde-core over that if I really want to, and be happy.
btw LMDE xfce looked good but its menus are very busy. it's a kitchen sink for geeks (geeks that would like to collect GUI tools), I found it daunting. there was like a hundred icons in the start menu.

it's schizophrenic when you have major menu bloat and a file manager with no toolbar as in this example image :
http://www.cyrille-borne.com/public/ima ... xfce01.png

I wish thunar would die by the way, just have the xfce team adopt pcmanfm and help it reach version 1.0.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

lxde leeched off xfce, by the way. either taking code outright, as with lxtask and maybe the terminal emulator, or just the general idea of a GTK environment with a nautilus clone. but lxde also takes great inspiration in old lightweight, easy to use window managers, iceWM and jwm (one is a clone of the other one, both followed the steps of an extremely old windows 95 clone for X-window).

if you try puppy linux (old versions at least) or damn small linux you can have a taste of it. this is all too beautiful and elegant :P

Return to “Xfce”