Mint Debian live CD..

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod1

Mint Debian live CD..

Post by specmod1 »

With the decline of ubuntu coming soon... due to the idiots switching to some weird interface i think it would be a good ideal to release a LIVE cd of mint Debian based off STABLE.. or add the LIVE to the testing.. with the installer etc..

I also think you should release a LITE live cd 300 megs or less... all you would need is a browser, A way to connect to the internet ( drivers ) and a Installer app to install programs.... you don't need a email client, and all this other stupid crap like games, graphics, office apps. and system tools...

My hard drive is dead, I have to use a ubuntu live cd the damn thing takes an hour to boot.. it has to boot with all the added junk... I have 2 gigs of ram... i am running out of ram all the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Debian live CD..

Post by TBABill »

You said "or add the LIVE to the testing" and that's what the LMDE LiveCD is. It's a LiveCD based on Debian Testing. And if you have the December iso you can just install it (if you get a new HD), then BEFORE updating, just change the repos from testing to stable. Then you have Debian 6 stable with the Mint goodies. Simple to do.

The rest of your post....well, that's all up to Clem and team. They have a full plate with what they have to maintain already and whether they move from Ubuntu base in the future is something we'll know once they choose. I think a lot of people will wait and judge Unity once it's complete. I don't like it at its present state, but who knows down the road.
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

they should keep ubuntu for a year or 2... just for marketing purpose.. to draw all the ubuntu haters over to Debian.

I don't think mint has a live desktop for debian yet?
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Yes they have a live desktop for Debian. Just download the LMDE iso and it'll run live just fine. You don't get an install option until you are at a desktop from the live media.

You may be right about dropping Ubuntu at some point, but you never know how the future may turn and whether dropping or sticking with Ubuntu is the right thing at that time. For me I am enjoying LMDE, even after (once again) installing Mint 10 KDE and after a day or two realizing why I never keep a KDE environment around. But that didn't make it a bad distro at all, just not to my liking in KDE. Mint 10 Gnome is still a great distro in its own right.

I do hope the LMDE side keeps growing after such a positive outcome from so many new users. It's fast, as great as regular Mint and every bit as capable. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing running LMDE versus main edition Mint other than a newer kernel, which I can upgrade on my own at any time. And with Ikey's inclusion soon of a tool to make it simple to install proprietary drivers, even fewer reasons exist not to use LMDE (although adding drivers is pretty easy as it is, but this makes it a no-brainer for the newest of new users).
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

"...decline of ubuntu"

Ubuntu is not going away anytime soon, and please consider that Mint 9 LTS (version off ubuntu 10.4) will be around this website until April 2013....

Ubuntu presently has way too huge of an established user base, and you can easily google most any ubuntu topic on the web for an immediate answer.

Yes, Mint Debian, may and could win over linux users...but only after a lot more of what have been previously termed "rough edges" are smoothed out. But trying to google some debian lenny and/or squeeze topics for similar answers like you're use to seeing with ubuntu is a night-and-day difference.

There are some who will say that their grandmother/grandchildren run Mint Debian. To that,I say GREAT! FANTASTIC! But, to what applications does that grandma/grandson run in Debian? We'll never really know.

MINT presently has captured a niche market, and are obviously trying to break out of "niche" and go more mainstream with their new product/s to expand their user base. They absolutely do not want to stay only as a niche distro. They'll die in the market if they just stay the same.

It takes a lot of time, resources, and energy,(and luck to some extent), to increase market share. They work very diligently to attaining this end. If they grow the distro a minimum of 7% per year, every year, they'll be around for a long time.

I wish them success in their endeavor.
psql

Post by psql »

Where I can find the ISO for the mint debian? LMDE?
diazepan11

Post by diazepan11 »

psql wrote:Where I can find the ISO for the mint debian? LMDE?
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Return to “LMDE Archive”