How do I add apps to taskbar?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeglaz

How do I add apps to taskbar?

Post by mikeglaz »

Is there a way to add app icons to the taskbar right next to the show desktop icon? I know it's possible with cinnamon, unfortunately cinnamon crashes my computer.

mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How do I add apps to taskbar?

Post by remoulder »

Presumably you mean mint 12 but which desktop are you referring to?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mikeglaz

Post by mikeglaz »

Next to the Show Desktop icon in the lower lefthand corner which is next to Menu. And yes, I'm talking about Mint 12.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

If you're in the default session "Gnome" you can do it by adding this extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... favorites/ (site only works with firefox)
merc669

Post by merc669 »

Just installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon. I tried the link above to see if I can add apps to taskbar but says need an newer version of Gnome 3. Which I thought 14 had the latest. I want to add quick launcher to the task bar like Chrome or Word Processor to this tast bar like in Windows 7 or even Ubuntu 12.10 where you can lock the icon to taskbar and launch from there vice using start menu. Any ideas on how or where to look for this? Thanks!
Bill...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There's 2 ways in Cinnamon:

[1] Open the Menu and go to the app that you want on the panel. Right click that item and select: "Add to Panel"

[2] This way is far less intuitive:

Right click an existing panel launcher > Select "Add" :

But then you you will need to find the executable and find the icon associated with that application.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
merc669

Post by merc669 »

Thanks Much Altair! I read that and saw I must have had a massive brain-fart! It was too easy! lol. Thanks again!!

Bill

Return to “Beginner Questions”