Activity Bar and Activities Stay Dark after Updates

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZekeDragon

Activity Bar and Activities Stay Dark after Updates

Post by ZekeDragon »

I've got little to complain about with Linux Mint 12 so far except for a very annoying problem rendering it impossible for me to read any notifications and very difficult to navigate in that all of the KDE desktop Activity stuff is staying extremely dark, so much so that I couldn't possibly use them. They were bright and fine after initial installation, but the shading effect that any program that asks for password on somehow "stays" in effect on the taskbar and all Activities on the desktop. At this point, the Folder View Activity is nothing more than a pitch black square. This darkened effect remains in place after a complete restart of the system. The normal Widgets seem unaffected.

It also appears I'm not the only person who suffered from this, the Softpedia Screenshot Review also shows the taskbar suddenly get much darker (see after 10th screenshot), and stays that way through the rest of the Screenshot Tour. They, however, never mention this, and I think that other users out there may be in a similar situation and have also not brought it up since it's not quite a showstopper.

Does anyone know how I can rectify this? I'd rather keep the theme the way it is, but if there's no other way I'll just change it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Activity Bar and Activities Stay Dark after Updates

Post by mads »

Hi! It just happened to me as well (not after updates, but after opening Amarok). What I did:
System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Desktop theme > select "Air" > click "Apply"
ZekeDragon

Re: Activity Bar and Activities Stay Dark after Updates

Post by ZekeDragon »

Hmm, okay, it looks like what actually happened is that Amarok (I didn't originally connect it but I also turned on Amarok) is changing the Desktop theme to Oxygen from the installation standard Air look, but that change doesn't change the font color, leaving all the text to be too dark to read. If you click on "Oxygen" in that desktop settings choice, you'll still have the dark Activity widgets and Activity Bar, but the font will have actually changed rendering it readable. Thank you for the advice, mads!

I prefer the darker look, I just couldn't read the notifications!

Return to “Software & Applications”