Nautilus only using default theme

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ertain
Level 1
Level 1

Nautilus only using default theme

Post by Ertain »

Hello Minty ones. About a month ago my desktop, and to a lesser extent Nautlius, was only using the default theme. I tried to change the theme using Advanced Settings but alas it didn't work. I also tried reinstalling Nautilus and a few of its data packs, but that didn't work, either. I went on to the Linux Mint IRC channel and asked them about it. Luckily, they told me how to fix it. Now I'm having the same problem, and I sadly can't figure out how to fix it again. Also, I'm using the Faenza-Radience icon theme, but it has changed the icon theme, as well.

Attached is a screenshot of Nautilus.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Nautilus only using default theme

Post by bimsebasse »

Usually the explanation is that you have installed the theme into ~/.themes/ and go into root mode in nautilus, nautilus will then use the fallback theme. If you have your theme in that folder, try to put it into /usr/share/themes/ instead. I always put everything into usr/share... to avoid this kind of thing happening.
Ertain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ertain »

I think using Nautilus as root is a part of the problem, because I did use Nautilus as root. But there may be another thing I have to do, such as removing or just moving a directory.

Still, I'll try copying the theme into /usr/share/themes/.

Edit:
*Tries that*

Nope, didn't work.
Ertain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ertain »

I have read in this thread that using the command

Code: Select all

rm -vr ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus && killall nautilus
has worked for most people. While it worked for me before it didn't work this time. :(

Ninja edit:
So apparently gnome-settings-daemon is exiting before it can apply the proper theme. While using gnome-settings-daemon as root sets the theme it doesn't always stay that way. In other words it goes away after reboot.
Ertain
Level 1
Level 1

Theme doesn't stay after reboot

Post by Ertain »

Hello everyone. I have had this problem for months but even after updating to Maya it won't go away. I'm still having the problem where I have to keep using the commands

killall nautilus
# then
gksu gnome-settings-daemon
just to keep my theme. Otherwise when I restart my computer (or even log out of Cinnamon) I lose my theme. Changing the system settings (Cinnamon or otherwise) doesn't work. I have tried using dconf-tools but that doesn't work. I have tried clearing out ~/.config/nautilus but that doesn't work. I have tried using the Ubuntu-Tweak-Tool but that doesn't work. I have tried using the command

sleep 10; /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
in the desktop file for gnome-settings-daemon in /etc/xdg/autostart/ but that doesn't work. I have tried adding the script

#!/bin/bash

pid=$(pgrep gnome-settings-)

while [ -n "$pid" ];
do
  pid=$(pgrep gnome-settings-)
  sleep 0
done

exit 0
to /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-settings-daemon.desktop but that doesn't work, either.

I know it has something to do with the proprietary nVidia driver, but that actually makes my system work the way it was suppose to work. If anyone's wondering I'm using an Intel i7-2600 CPU at 3.4 Gigs with an nVidia GeForce GT 530 graphics card on Linux Mint 13 64-bit edition.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Threads merged - same topic.
Ertain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ertain »

Thanks viking777.

...But it still doesn't help me. :(

Return to “Software & Applications”