[solved] Mint 12 switch to KDE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helgatheviking

[solved] Mint 12 switch to KDE

Post by helgatheviking »

I have a dual boot system with Win7 and Mint 12 already set up. It took me forever to figure out how to get the symlinks set up to share data folders and I'd really rather not start from scratch, but I saw that Linux Mint 12 KDE came out and since I am sick of windows and frustrated w/ Gnome/unity I wanted to try it. Is there a way to switch to the KDE flavor of the mint distro without reinstalling everything??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 12 switch to KDE

Post by xenopeek »

You can install the package kde-full, this will add the option to your current installation at the login screen (the gearwheel icon) to start a KDE session.
helgatheviking

Post by helgatheviking »

thanks Vincent! though i got a ilttle impatient and it is probably better to have a full install anyway. i'm sure i'm going to run into plenty more problems.. (i mean challenges)
helgatheviking

Post by helgatheviking »

man do i wish i had been a little more patient. can't figure out how to symlink my home directory to my shared partition. headphone jack doesn't work (never did i guess even on the gnome version), USB speakers don't work (probably same).. who knows the status of the mic and camera. intensely frustrated by even the copy and paste commands being difficult. i'm not a total computer noob, and i have used ubuntu before mint, but man this just seems hard. did like the KDE interface better than unity though...

Return to “Installation & Boot”