Linux Mint Debian kFreeBSD Spin?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mmosier

Linux Mint Debian kFreeBSD Spin?

Post by mmosier »

As we all are aware, Debian Squeeze was released recently, and among other things, a new version called kFreeBSD which uses
the FreeBSD kernel is up for download. This got me to thinking, making a spin of LMDE that uses freeBSD as it's kernel would
be very cool, as FreeBSD has support for ZFS among other things, and it is real UNIX, not just a UNIX-like OS like Linux.

I don't know what it would be called, perhaps MintBSD or something... but I think it is a very cool concept to look into.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: Linux Mint Debian kFreeBSD Spin?

Post by monkeyboy »

An interesting idea but I don't know if there would be enough interest in the Mint developer community to make it happen.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

The average car driver hasn't a clue what goes on under the hood, as long as it starts and gets from A to B, that's all that matters to many.

Now if you're interested in motor sport then its a different story.

So what's the point in this different kernel in layman's terms then, just a few good reasons to grab the attention of the uneducated :D

Preferably without a string of meaningless three letter acronyms :wink:
mmosier

Post by mmosier »

The average car driver hasn't a clue what goes on under the hood, as long as it starts and gets from A to B, that's all that matters to many.

Now if you're interested in motor sport then its a different story.

So what's the point in this different kernel in layman's terms then, just a few good reasons to grab the attention of the uneducated :D

Preferably without a string of meaningless three letter acronyms :wink:
I can think of a few reasons right off the bat that would draw attention:
1. FreeBSD is a direct descendant of UNIX. Mac OSX is based off of it
2. ZFS is the worlds most advanced and forward-looking file system, and is not available in Linux due to licensing issues
3. FreeBSD scales better on multi-core systems
4. FreeBSD is one of the worlds most secure operating systems
on4aa

Post by on4aa »

You should post your great idea also on http://community.linuxmint.com
I would certainly vote in favour.

Return to “LMDE Archive”