altec lansing sound card not recognised

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hatool

altec lansing sound card not recognised

Post by hatool »

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus k52j, with built in Altec Lansing speakers (Built-in speaker and microphone
Altec Lansing speakers SRS Premium Sound).

Dual booting Mint 12 32bit Gnome desktop with Win 7.

I *have* sound and my microphone works as well, however, the sound quallity is poor.
It seems that the sound comes from the internal speakers rather than from the Lansing speakers (with headphones sound is very good). :?

When I go to system tools>sound ; under the "hardware" tab I see two options:

Manhatten HDMI Audio [mobillity radeon HP 5000 series] Digital stereo (HDMI) stereo
and
Internal Audio; 1 output /1 input Analog stereo duplex

Under the "Output" tab, If I choose the "Manhatten" option Iose all sound, and the other option provides the poor sound experience I described.

I installed GNOME ALSA MIXER, following the tip in this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32293 but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the subject...

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gordintoronto

Re: altec lansing sound card not recognised

Post by gordintoronto »

If you use an HDMI cable to connect to an HD TV, the HDMI audio setting is appropriate. Otherwise, it's not.

In Sound Preferences, in the Output tab, you can try different "connectors."
hatool

Post by hatool »

gordintoronto wrote:If you use an HDMI cable to connect to an HD TV, the HDMI audio setting is appropriate. Otherwise, it's not.

In Sound Preferences, in the Output tab, you can try different "connectors."
Thanks for the reply gordintoronto :)

I don't use an HMDI cable, only the laptop... in the conncetors drop down menu I have only one option: "analog outpoot"
Jazzex

Post by Jazzex »

I am having this same problem, only my laptop is an asus k55a, Very similar to yours.
The sound is only coming from the internal speakers, and the only detected hardware is the INTEL PCH audio adapter.

Im really hoping for a fix to this.

Return to “Hardware Support”