Unofficial wiki for Cinnamon developers

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Unofficial wiki for Cinnamon developers

Postby dalcde on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:06 pm

I've created an unofficial documentation for the libraries used in Cinnamon for developers as a reference (has someone already done this before?). Little is created so everyone can help editing.

http://cinnamondocumentation.wikinet.org/wiki/Main_Page

EDIT: Added a half-complete tutorial
Last edited by dalcde on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unofficial wiki documentation

Postby bimsebasse on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Brilliant! Wish I knew enough about javascript to contribute.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unofficial wiki documentation

Postby dalcde on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:20 am

Added a half-complete tutorial
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unofficial wiki for Cinnamon developers

Postby xenopeek on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:09 am

Looks good.

Stickied.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mojosmail2003 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:57 pm

This is a great idea thanks. I find that the learning curve for developing is somewhat steep, so any documentation would be greatly appreciated. Would it make sense with some sort of uml-diagram showing the relationship between the various classes and files? I haven't programmed in javascript before, so maybe this wouldn't make sense.
mojosmail2003
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dalcde on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:27 pm

mojosmail2003 wrote:This is a great idea thanks. I find that the learning curve for developing is somewhat steep, so any documentation would be greatly appreciated. Would it make sense with some sort of uml-diagram showing the relationship between the various classes and files? I haven't programmed in javascript before, so maybe this wouldn't make sense.

Yes I did that for some of the classes, such as Applet and PopupMenu. It is located at the top of the page.

btw, javascript is easy to learn (compared to languages such as C).
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mojosmail2003 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:17 pm

dalcde wrote:
mojosmail2003 wrote:This is a great idea thanks. I find that the learning curve for developing is somewhat steep, so any documentation would be greatly appreciated. Would it make sense with some sort of uml-diagram showing the relationship between the various classes and files? I haven't programmed in javascript before, so maybe this wouldn't make sense.

Yes I did that for some of the classes, such as Applet and PopupMenu. It is located at the top of the page.

btw, javascript is easy to learn (compared to languages such as C).

Thanks, I have previously programmed in C and Java, so the language part should be manageable. The difficult part for me is probably to know where Gnome stops and Cinnamon takes over, and the relation of the ~600 files in the source code and the general folder structure. Some information on compiling/installing would be greatly appreciated as well (not sure if the previous forum discussion on compiling are valid for the 1.4 version as well).

Btw. it might make sense to only to allow "users" to edit the wiki (see recent changes for today 19th of March).

EDIT: Just read through the Applet tutorial, and thinks does make a lot more sense now :-)
mojosmail2003
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dalcde on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:49 pm

mojosmail2003 wrote:Btw. it might make sense to only to allow "users" to edit the wiki (see recent changes for today 19th of March).

Well, allowing ANYONE to edit it makes it more convinient for people to edit. Users making unrelated edits are unaviodable in wikis.
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Postby grumpypenguin on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I have a question here. Is JavaScript really a good choice for developing a desktop and its extensions? Because JavaScript was never a speed demon and Gnome 3 itself isn't exactly fast, especially on older machines.
grumpypenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dalcde on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 am

Only Javascript is available for coding applets/extensions, unless you somehow link them together it some complicated way. For example, the GNOME Menu by bownz used to be ported from Python and had Python code in it. But it integrates poorly with the theme (it's now rewritten in JS), so I'd advice you to stick with Javascript.
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mbokil on Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 pm

I think the wiki is a great idea. I was looking around for documentation and I found older Gnome shell stuff. It would be helpful to post code examples of all the applet controls/methods. I get a lot of information about what methods are possible reading Gnome devs documents: http://developer.gnome.org/platform-overview/stable/

Nice work on the wiki.
mbokil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby teatime on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you for the tutorial but maybe I can suggest to offer a download link for both listings.
teatime
Level 2
Level 2

Postby nabsha on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:52 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to raise that this is not opening for me!!!, Actually I am not able to access wikinet.org at all. Anyone else having the same issue?
nabsha
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eanfrid on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:09 am

wikinet.org exists but
Code: Select all
host -a cinnamondocumentation.wikinet.org
Trying "cinnamondocumentation.wikinet.org"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
is a non existent host :( Maybe a misconfigured NS or the host has been removed from there.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Postby nabsha on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 am

Does this mean we have lost the only source of info for Cinnamon Devs?
nabsha
Level 1
Level 1

Postby prisma on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:08 pm

I would like to be a bit more positive, but this was posted in march, and as off today, it has about 10 pages of content, most of them rather short.

I would like to pick up extension development, but there is simply no documentation. Why does this situation persists? Linux mint is probably the most popular distribution, there are millions of users. One would assume community contributed code is much needed. Cinamon still lacks a zillion bells and whistles that gnome2 had.

Please, whomever is in a position to do so, give us some docs.

The most accessible document is the applet tutorial, but heck, I don't even know how to set up a proper development environment.
prisma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dyrer on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Excellent work
Everyone's work to help other new linux users (like me), are welcome
dyrer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Matt-from-Belgium on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 am

I'm struggling with the same problem. I have quite a bit of experience in web developing using JavaScript so the syntax shouldn't be a problem. But since all the classes used are custom there's just no way that I can create something good.

I have building blocks, but I don't know what they do. I really need documentation on all the possible imports and what they do and how they do it.

Matt.
Matt-from-Belgium
Level 1
Level 1

Postby catweazel on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 am

Great work. For the front page I would make one suggestion, which is to include a sentence that tells what the information is useful for, e.g.:

This is the unofficial documentation for the JavaScript and C libraries (via Gjs) that can be used in Cinnamon to create applets.

Cheers.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Cinnamon