Where is LXDE 64bit?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Where is LXDE 64bit?

Post by SiKing »

Hi all.
Am not terribly impressed with what is going on in the GNOME3 world (including Cinnamon or MATE), so thinking about switching to LXDE. I have some questions which might be considered newb-like.
1. Why no 64bit LXDE edition?
2. Does LXDE edition have the same support policy on LTS as the main edition?
Thanx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
w2ibc

Re: Where is LXDE 64bit?

Post by w2ibc »

1. I think the reason why no 64 is its just never been made since LXDE is/was used primarily for "older systems" 64 was never needed. How ever if this is correct all that would be needed is remaking the lxde deb packages for 64 to have lxde 64.

2. someone else will have to answer that but I don't see why it wouldn't
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Lubuntu 11.10 has a 64-bit LXDE edition with the new Linux 3.0xx kernel. You can do everything on it that you can do with Mint LXDE, and it is a bit faster.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

as said on the other topic you can install main linux mint 12 edition and add lxde on top of it. sudo apt-get install lxde lxtask obconf lxappareance
(one is unneeded but I don't remember which)

it's worth it, you will waste a bit of time and disk space and gnome libraries still hanging around but nothing a 64bit machine can't handle.
your PC will still be fast and simple to use.

no 64bit edition is probably the maintainers not having enough free time, for packaging, testing, releasing.
the 32bit edition is more needed for old computers, here you need it to fit on a CD-R, and not installing gnome crap is much needed (should work on 3GB and 4GB drives, and 256MB memory)
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

That is what I suspected. Thanx guys!
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Baptiste is correct.

Aftermarket LXDE on top of 64 bit Lisa Gnome is a wee bit heavier than the straight 32 bit LXDE, but a bit nicer as well.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

This is great news, thanx guys!
From past experience I know that installing LM-main (GNOME), and installing KDE on top of that is not great. For now I reinstalled to LM9-main and couldn't be happier. Will see what LM13 (the next LTS?) brings, but now I know I have a perfectly good alternative.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

SiKing wrote:1. Why no 64bit LXDE edition?
The answer from Clem on the Mint Blog (100 comment: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1937)
@All: There is no 64-bit planned for this edition. However you can run 32-bit on your system and get all your memory recognized using a PAE kernel. The reason we don’t support 64-bit here is simply due to resources and focus on other developments. Each release takes a lot of time. It’s not a simple matter of adding a few packages and another DE, a lot of testing and troubleshooting is involved with each and every release and so we need to be selective and sometimes restrict the scope of our work to ensure we’re always happy with the quality.
Arran

Post by Arran »

SiKing wrote:Hi all.
Am not terribly impressed with what is going on in the GNOME3 world (including Cinnamon or MATE), so thinking about switching to LXDE. I have some questions which might be considered newb-like.
Thanx.
Then the logic consequence is Linux Mint 12 KDE I am happy with it since about a month.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I just installed the Synaptic "LXDE" along with "lxappearance-obconf" and "vlc-plugin-pulse" on a Mint 12 64-bit system. Initially the computer seemed a little mystified by all the possibilities (7 desktops + combinations), mixing up some controls and menus. However, by the second day (today) and some adjusting the LXDE desktop seems to have stabilized and appears quite similar to 32-bit versions and the Lubuntu 64-bit version. Now if it just comes up the same for a few more days, it will be all :D ! At first I thought I was going to be rewarded with some of the nice Gnome controls (in particular, sound) but I can get gnome-control-center to last for 1 boot and then all the useful parts disappear. There is still left the chore of removing the cosmetic bloat from the other desktops and testing precisely what Gnome controls will function on the LXDE desktop. With most of the main applications that I use, including some heavy weights like Wine and Skype, installed, it appears the whole blob weighs in at less than 5 GB.
Juanito216

Post by Juanito216 »

Hi, would it be better to just use Lubuntu 64-bit? I'm running 12 LXDE on a 64-bit system, but I may want the Mint customizations. Are there any noticable benefits to using 64-bit? Should I just stick with Mint LXDE(with a PAE Kernel) or use Lubuntu 64-bit?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Mint 12 64-bit with after market LXDE, Lubuntu 11.10 64-bit and Mint LXDE 32-bit (pae kernel) are essentially the same performance-wise with 2 GB or less ram. With 4 GB or more ram, the 64-bit can be faster with some kinds of heavy work loads. All of them can be customized to be just about anything if you have the Ram.
Juanito216

Post by Juanito216 »

Thanks, right now i'm running Lubuntu(I have 6gigs of ram on my machine), but i'm trying to make it look like Mint LXDE, I had some progress but still some things missing(icons etc). I've had graphical issues with Mint main edition. I don't know, I might try a debian version of Mint again. I think my graphical issues might have something to do with Gnome 3, graphical problems are non existant with Mint LXDE, is there anyway I could use Main Edition with all the Gnome 3 stuff removed?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

is there anyway I could use Main Edition with all the Gnome 3 stuff removed?
That is what the after market 64-bit Mint LXDE 12 is. It runs very smoothly for me, have 4 GB ram. You can see what I took off here: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/lubuntu.html. However, it did not give me anything, that I have found yet, over Lubuntu 11.1.
still some things missing(icons etc)
There are folders of icons at /usr/share/icons in all LXDE installs. Use lxmed (see http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#9) to edit the app's .desktop file icon path to the icon of your choice. Or just make your own icons - any .png, about 48x48 - move them to /usr/share/icons and use them as you like. You can download some of those that I have made by putting

Code: Select all

wget http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Icons
into the terminal, provided you have wget installed. I suppose some would say that they have no theme, but they are colorful, which is what I like, and I'm the one that has to stare at them :D .
Juanito216

Post by Juanito216 »

Thank you, I might try the aftermarket lxde Mint.
FulciLives
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FulciLives »

seppalta wrote:Mint 12 64-bit with after market LXDE, Lubuntu 11.10 64-bit and Mint LXDE 32-bit (pae kernel) are essentially the same performance-wise with 2 GB or less ram. With 4 GB or more ram, the 64-bit can be faster with some kinds of heavy work loads. All of them can be customized to be just about anything if you have the Ram.
How do you go about installing this PAE KERNEL with Linux Mint LXDE 12
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

First check if your CPU supports a pae kernel:

grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
If you see a line with "pae" then you can use a pae kernel on that CPU.

Next install the pae kernel:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic-pae
and reboot to use the new kernel. If you have problems reboot and choose the old kernel, press the Shift key to get to the Grub2 menu.

Info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE
FulciLives
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FulciLives »

nunol wrote:First check if your CPU supports a pae kernel:

grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
If you see a line with "pae" then you can use a pae kernel on that CPU.

Next install the pae kernel:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic-pae
and reboot to use the new kernel. If you have problems reboot and choose the old kernel, press the Shift key to get to the Grub2 menu.

Info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE
Thank you for the response. When typing in the command above I got the following:
pae.png
I assume this means that I can go ahead and install the PAE kernal then?

I just want to be sure before I do it :)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Yes, you can.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Arran wrote:
SiKing wrote:Hi all.
Thanx.
Then the logic consequence is Linux Mint 12 KDE I am happy with it since about a month.
I used to be fan of KDE a long time ago. Don't even remember why I switched to GNOME and never looked back. Perhaps now is the perfect time to have that look back. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”