Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The second release candidate for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition is out and available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_kde.php

Please test it heavily so we can find and fix as many bugs as possible.

Note: Use this thread to report bugs and to give us feedback. Many thanks to Boo for developing and maintaining this edition and to exploder for the time he put in testing it.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Post by clem »

When the stable release comes out, it will come with a "miniKDE" CD.

Clem
punkfacelooser

Post by punkfacelooser »

Hey,

I think you're going to have a nice release pretty soon here.

You guys ever considered releasing delta ISOs for the betas? Some people (myself included) would be more willing to spend download time on betas if they knew they could convert it to the final by downloading a small ~10MB Delta ISO.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Does the torrent work for anyone or is it down for just me?

It's coming down pretty fast on the Crete server though. Just nothing on the torrent
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

urbangeo wrote:I'm seeding the torrent right now.
Hmm.... maybe something on my end, bit torrent was working yesterday though. Oh well

I was under the impression, by the name, LinuxMint-4.0-KDE-BETA-044.iso, that it was built off of KDE 4.0 but in the KDE Control Center it says KDE 3.5.8 although it looks like KDE 4.
I don't see anything in the release notes so is this 3.5 or is it 4.0 ?
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

subslug wrote:
urbangeo wrote:I'm seeding the torrent right now.
Hmm.... maybe something on my end, bit torrent was working yesterday though. Oh well

I was under the impression, by the name, LinuxMint-4.0-KDE-BETA-044.iso, that it was built off of KDE 4.0 but in the KDE Control Center it says KDE 3.5.8 although it looks like KDE 4.
I don't see anything in the release notes so is this 3.5 or is it 4.0 ?
Hi subslug.

As far as I know it's based on KDE 3.5 as 4 is still too unstable at the moment. The release version of Linux Mint 4.0 is the fourth release of Linux Mint itself. They are already working on the fifth release of Mint called Linux Mint 5.0. It's just a coincidence with the 4.0 not meant to imply KDE 4 is the base.

Hope this helps

Slap
kumeil

Post by kumeil »

@souzounaki

Part from Release notes: "Linux Mint Daryna KDE CE Upgrade Notes.

Just don't. It will cause you more problems than it is worth and it will not be anywhere near as beautiful and clean as a fresh install. For this reason I am not including upgrade notes. In the future I am going to create a mint-kde-distro.deb to aid in updating KDE mint editions."
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The tracker was down. It was restarted and the torrent should work fine now.

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:The tracker was down. It was restarted and the torrent should work fine now.

Clem
It is working fine for me now. :)
Currently uploading around 50 kB/s
focalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by focalguy »

I'm out of town right now but can't wait to get home and "upgrade". Thanks for the notes on reinstalling and using your old /home partition. That's exactly what I'll be doing. And I'll be seeding also.

Thanks again to all for the hard work!
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

The torrent is rockin right now. 300k down. 20 seeders. What the hell did we ever do before bittorrent???

--Akshun J
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Install and setup went without a hitch on my test box. So well that I went ahead and installed it on my desktop. So far, no problems to report. This appears to be a solid release.

A hearty thanks to Boo and others who made this release possible. Definitely shows that holding off a few extra days to get the release right was worth the wait.

--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
krillehb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krillehb »

I downloaded it last night and i will install it this afternoon and i´m pretty sure that it will be fantastic again as all the Mint versions before were !!

Mint rocks !!!
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Posting from Daryna KDE right now. Pretty slick so far. A couple of questions:

1. Was Firefox supposed to take on a KDE theme? It looks like un-themed GTK2 right now. So does Mint-Update.

2. Is Compiz-Fusion supposed to be enabled by default? I've got the Intel chipset, but compiz is not turned on. I will investigate further. UPDATE: Okay, I figured it out. There's a menu entry for "enable desktop effects." Genius, really. The effects are VERY light though, and it seems the config tool is present so you can adjust...

3. What is the wallet and why does it keep harrassing me?

All-in-all, it seems like a solid release. Programs like KNetworkManager and KLaptop are actually superior to their Gnome brethren, so I'm loving life right now. If I hit any bugs, I'll post again!

Great job, Boo!

--Akshun J
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

I'm posting this while running the LiveCD. I haven't installed it yet, but from what I've played with so far it's looking good!

1 problem though. My laptop volume up/down and mute buttons don't work.

My play/pause/fwd/back media controls do work now though. Thanks Boo!
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

2 words: Great work!

We test it at linuxmintusers.de at several PCs and Laptops and anything runs well, fast and very smooth in good looking desgin.
No Problems with rebooting in VM and real machines.

For a BETA Version, it's runs too good. ;-)
Whats coming up in the stable version. We are very intent!!!

neo67
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

Problems with Mint KDE CE beta 044; they appear when working from the the live CD:

- keyboard is always US, independent of what is chosen on the splash screen (it can only be changed in the KDE control-center later).

- OOo documents which are directly stored on the Desktop or exported as pdf to it do not appear on it; they are in the Desktop folder but are not visible on the Desktop itself.

- after configuring and activating wireless, no dhcp adress is retrived, this has to be done with dhclient on the commandline; certainly sub-optimal for a beginner starting with Mint.

- the signal strength indication does not remain visible in the system tray, independent of what is chosen as option in KWiFiManager.

- Firefox can get via wireless on the internet, Konqueror cannot (!) (which also means that fish etc. cannot be used with wireless and Konqueror).

- how can one get buttons into the taskbar for choosing the individual desktops? (one can configure the mouse-wheel for moving between them, but that is not always practical).

To me, most of these problems, which remain unchanged from an earlier edition last year, look like bad integration of KDE into a distribution developed for Gnome - which is also one of the principal problems Kubuntu suffers from. With the Debian/Ubuntu repository and its Mint-flavour, Mint KDE might have an interesting market if it addresses this deficiency, but otherwise not.

Now, that's a beta, and so there still is hope.

WH.
ausmark

Post by ausmark »

never done this before so here goes,
my test system - asus a8v-vm (audio disabled in bios), amd939 3200, 512 ram, ati x300 video, sound blaster audio, benq fp71g monitor, wired ethernet.
install daryna kde beta 044 and all the updates.
with 3d effects disabled dvd movies play fine in kaffeine & mplayer.
with 3d effects enabled dvd movies have audio but no video in kaffeine & mplayer.
have not encountered any other problems yet.
would like to be able to hide some programs on the menu without actually deleting them as can be done in the gnome menu
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ hopeful
Your problem that FF can but Konqueror cannot connect to the net could be a problem with name resolution that appears sometimes. Some of my Mint suffers from it some not
Solution here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
This is for the main version but I can't remember any difference with KDE in this respect
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

hopeful wrote:Problems with Mint KDE CE beta 044; they appear when working from the the live CD:
- keyboard is always US, independent of what is chosen on the splash screen (it can only be changed in the KDE control-center later).
I can choose german layout and it is german layout...
hopeful wrote: - OOo documents which are directly stored on the Desktop or exported as pdf to it do not appear on it; they are in the Desktop folder but are not visible on the Desktop itself.
It runs....
hopeful wrote: - after configuring and activating wireless, no dhcp adress is retrived, this has to be done with dhclient on the commandline; certainly sub-optimal for a beginner starting with Mint.
have a look on /var/log/messages....
hopeful wrote: - the signal strength indication does not remain visible in the system tray, independent of what is chosen as option in KWiFiManager.
it runs on my laptop
hopeful wrote: - Firefox can get via wireless on the internet, Konqueror cannot (!) (which also means that fish etc. cannot be used with wireless and Konqueror).
normaly both of them take the given gateway, which is send via dhcp

Wich speed do you use, as you burn the DVD? Is the checksum correct?
All this erros doesn't appear at 3-4 Computers. So, I think you have another Problem, for example a bad DVD. Did you start in a VM or real machine?

neo67
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De

Return to “Releases & Announcements”