make a Cinnamon 2D (fallback)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
livram79

make a Cinnamon 2D (fallback)

Post by livram79 »

I was glad to see UP4 in "incoming" repository with Cinnamon available for LMDE. Well, just realised Cinnamon is not supported by my hardware. Gnome 3 fallback is UNACCEPTABLE ugly. There is nothing left for me.
Please, Clem and Linux Mint Team make a 2D Cinnamon (instead of Mate), as Ubuntu made Unity 2D for the hardware which does not support Unity 3D. I am not asking this just for myself but for all those who cannot enjoy Cinnamon.
Are you willing to do it?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: make a Cinnamon 2D (fallback)

Post by xenopeek »

Not needed, Gnome 3 recent build has already removed the necessity for fallback and Gnome 3 will run on any graphics card with that. This should roll into LMDE later as well (and Linux Mint main edition).
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

livram79 wrote:Gnome 3 fallback is UNACCEPTABLE ugly.
Depends on what you're after, I guess. With the help of gnome-tweak-tool, I managed to make it look almost the same as the Gnome 2 setup I had. Didn't even have to try to edit an uneditable entry in dconf-editor to get the panels and applets to behave. Cinnamon is a complete disaster in that respect (and dog slow...).
livram79

Post by livram79 »

xenopeek wrote:Not needed, Gnome 3 recent build has already removed the necessity for fallback and Gnome 3 will run on any graphics card with that. This should roll into LMDE later as well (and Linux Mint main edition).
Thank you for this information.
But... will that make Cinnamon work well even on old hardware?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

livram79 wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Not needed, Gnome 3 recent build has already removed the necessity for fallback and Gnome 3 will run on any graphics card with that. This should roll into LMDE later as well (and Linux Mint main edition).
Thank you for this information.
But... will that make Cinnamon work well even on old hardware?
Yes. Cinnamon is a fork of gnome shell, and therefore at some point inherits the code that goes into gnome shell, although it may take more time.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”