Greetings .... A few Q's to Help Me Get Going Quicker!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Greetings .... A few Q's to Help Me Get Going Quicker!!

Post by catweazle »

On your question 1. See daryna menu under --> Preferences --> Advanced Desktop.
If you do not have this entry you will have to install Compizconfig-settings-manager with mint-install or synaptic.

On question 4. Yes there are in Opera.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

Not without computer spec.
What is your processor and graphics card ?
How much ram memory ?
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

Specs are ok for compiz.
glxgears and glxinfo are in the package mesa-utils. Can be installed with mint install.

What is your problem with compiz ?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

kiisu wrote: 2)I've lost control of the front volume wheel on my laptop ... it didn't work under Kubuntu either so this must be a kde issue ....

3)Trying to download themes/icons/etc, from kde-look website didn't give me anything, just went on to a page with some code on it ... this could just be a problem with their site?
2. Can you find a keyboard shortcuts setting in config manager (sorry, I use GNOME, I have NO idea of where to find it in KDE). In GNOME you can easily configure your keyboard shortcuts, so I guess Mint finds the button, but it isn't assigned to volume control.
3. It is a problem with GNOME look as well, not all themes are hosted @ KDE/GNOME/XFCE-look and thus the external link may be broken at some times, annoying, I know, but I have no idea what to do about it...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I am on the verge to recommending GNOME, but I am biased in the situation. If I remember correctly, the login screen is changeable in KDE, somewhere in the control center. It has been over a year since I last tried KDE, so I have forgotten most I learned then.
I would just recommend to browse through the control center (or what it is called) and looking at settings and learn to navigate through it. And I completely agree with the *-look.org, I also had some troubles learning how to install themes, etc. Some of the themes have a pretty good install guide though...
--Dean Martin
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

You might try the gnome desktop to check if you have a sluggish compiz under gnome as well.

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment
At the login screen you can select the session (kde or gnome). So you have always a way back to kde.
My guess is that it is kde related.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

catweazle wrote:You might try the gnome desktop to check if you have a sluggish compiz under gnome as well.

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment
At the login screen you can select the session (kde or gnome). So you have always a way back to kde.
My guess is that it is kde related.
I do not recommend running both KDE and GNOME just to check for something like that, if you want GNOME, by all means install it, but you will suffer some speed loss on your computer. I generally recommend to keep to one DE at a time, unless you really want more.. I would rather download compiz config manager and tweaking the settings there, it is basically what "Normal" etc does in Ubuntu, but there is default settings there...
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”