SOLVED! Add custom application launcher to the LXDE panel

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ccc

SOLVED! Add custom application launcher to the LXDE panel

Post by ccc »

hi

Howto add my own application launcher to the LXDE panel, for example teamviewer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Add own application launcher to the LXDE panel

Post by seppalta »

To add items to and set-up the panels, just right click on bottom panel for menus.
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Specifically- Right click bottom panel->Panel Settings->Panel Applets->Application Launch Bar

You will then get a menu of what to add and how to order.

Hope this helps

M5
ccc

Post by ccc »

Miami592 wrote:Specifically- Right click bottom panel->Panel Settings->Panel Applets->Application Launch Bar

You will then get a menu of what to add and how to order.

Hope this helps

M5
Thx, but in the menu there cannot find how to add my own application launcher, I mean other launcher than there is listed.
BTW I'd like to add teamviewer launcher to the panel.
seppalta

Re: Add custom application launcher to the LXDE panel

Post by seppalta »

So you are really asking how to put an item into the main menu, because the item has to be first on the main menu to add it to the panel. To add an item to the main menu, you need to create a .desktop file for it, which can be done from scratch or by using lxmed. That requires knowing the exec of the item. I suggest that you read the pertinent parts, especially section 11, of http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html.
ccc

Post by ccc »

seppalta wrote:So you are really asking how to put an item into the main menu, because the item has to be first on the main menu to add it to the panel. To add an item to the main menu, you need to create a .desktop file for it, which can be done from scratch or by using lxmed. That requires knowing the exec of the item. I suggest that you read the pertinent parts, especially section 11, of http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html.
No, I don't need put to the main menu, I just need to put application launcher to to the panel directly as a panel applet.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

No, I don't need put to the main menu, I just need to put application launcher to to the panel directly as a panel applet.
It's the same thing. If you do not want to see it in the Main Menu, then add NoDisplay=true to the .desktop file. Except for the panel applets listed in the xpanel applet list, you might as well go through the Main Menu to put something on the taskbar.
ibiris

Post by ibiris »

I think you may be suffering from the same 'issue' as I just have. I've been trying to add an Application Launch Bar to my panel using the guide at http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#4. However I couldn't find it and thought I was reading the tutorial wrong.

The tutorial was spot on, I was just being daft! When you're in the 'Add plugin to panel' window, try scrolling down, there's a few more options. Unfortunately I failed to see the scroll bar for about 20 minutes! I just so happened to run my finger over the trackpad and it scrolled down :oops:

Hope that helps!

Rob
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

The first diagram in Section 11 of the quoted reference shows the pathway (connections) from the computer files to the taskbars (panels) and desktop. Notice the only path to the panels is physically through the Main Menu, but as I already pointed out you can have it hidden in the Main Menu. You can also put launchers in the openbox menu (right click on empty desktop spot). See Section 3 of the Tuning reference. These can be very handy, for example, sometimes allowing you to keep working should your panels disappear (stranger things have been known to happen), which generally requires a reboot to correct.
ccc

Post by ccc »

Editing ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel and adding an additional panel solved my problem.

Return to “Software & Applications”