Nvidia drivers linux mint 11 lxde

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shay255

Nvidia drivers linux mint 11 lxde

Post by Shay255 »

So I was just wondering and all if anybody knew of how to install a nvidia driver for a 8 year old veriton 7600GT Acer desktop and I know they just released nvidia 295.20 for Linux mint 11 lxde. When I installed the driver via Ubuntu updates ppa I tried clicking on the control center and it said you do not have x server or something so I am just wondering if anybody could help me with a possible up to date driver of nvidia for Linux mint 11 lxde if anybody could that would be great thanks cause I have not installed a up to date driver of nvidia before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Miami592

Re: Nvidia drivers linux mint 11 lxde

Post by Miami592 »

Shay,

Every machine is different. I have used older Nvidia equipment a good bit in the past & I think you would be fine with the Nvidia drivers from the Mint repos or "Additional Drivers". I believe 260 to be the current there?

From experience I can say that you should pay careful attention of each error message you get. I found that each one I got had a specific solution.

I hope this is enough to point you in the right direction.
Shay255

Post by Shay255 »

This is the problem when I use the nvidia drivers for linux mint 11 lxde (You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.)
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Did you download from the Mint Software Manager or the NVidia Website?
Shay255

Post by Shay255 »

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server. this is what i get when i download the current
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Have you tried that?
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

you have to go to a text-mode console (CTRL-ALT-F1), login, become root (sudo su) ; then kill the X session, run xconfig and restart the X session.

to do that you kill the login manager
killall gdm is the shortest way (or if something else is used, killall lxdm, killall lightdm)
gdm to start it again
Shay255

Post by Shay255 »

did figure out the series its nvidia geforce 4 series

Return to “Software & Applications”