LMDE Live CD Hangs on Boot [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Mindstormscreator

LMDE Live CD Hangs on Boot [SOLVED]

Post by Mindstormscreator »

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-6199us with an Intel Core i7-2670QM and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Whenever I try to boot from a live USB drive of LMDE (x64), XFCE or GNOME, it hangs right before loading the desktop.

[Video removed]

I occasionally can boot from a live usb fine without this problem, but this is what happens most of the time. I notice when I can't boot, (in the video) those 25 or so very similar error messages that display quickly are shown, while when I do boot fine, they are not (hopefully you can figure out what I mean).
I've had other USB problems with LMDE too, including when making a live USB from Unetbootin (on in this case I was trying LiLi), my computer will not recognise the USB drive as a bootable device unless I turn on Floppy Boot in the BIOS, when then it will only boot with Lili. I could only boot properly every time from USB when using dd to make a live USB of the Linux Mint KDE image. Maybe it would be beneficial to make LMDE iso's hybrid iso's too? :wink:

If the above paragraph is confusing or not useful, ignore it, what's happening in the video is more important. I think this might have something to do with my ever-despised AMD card, not sure though.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: LMDE Live CD Hangs on Boot (with VIDEO)

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I saw something about the drive being formatted as FAT. Could you format it as FAT32 and put Mint on it and see if it works then? Does it normally boot off other Linux distributions like Ubuntu?
Mindstormscreator

Re: LMDE Live CD Hangs on Boot (with VIDEO)

Post by Mindstormscreator »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:I saw something about the drive being formatted as FAT. Could you format it as FAT32 and put Mint on it and see if it works then? Does it normally boot off other Linux distributions like Ubuntu?
THANK YOU!!! :D
You just not only solved this problem, but ALL of my usb booting problems :D

Here's what I eventually figured out to do:

1: Unmout USB stick, but don't "Safely Remove"
2: Open gparted and select USB drive
3: (noticed that drive was fat32, but apparently had a problem) delete old fat32 partition, recreate it with gparted, format as fat32
4: Close gparted and mount usb drive
5: Use Unetbootin to make bootable usb

Now my drive is seen at the boot menu, even with Floppy Boot turned off, and it boots to the desktop perfectly.

Again, THANK YOU!!!!

Return to “LMDE Archive”