MinUpdate Changelog

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lin-Unix

MinUpdate Changelog

Post by Lin-Unix »

Is there anyway for MintUpdate to display the changelogs for non-Mint program specific updates? Like for XOrg updates, see the changelog. All the changelogs available are for the Mint Tools only. The Ubuntu Update Manager does this but why was this dropped for MintUpdate?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: MinUpdate Changelog

Post by remoulder »

This may be a bug or oversight, there's also an issue with mintupdate ignoring the apt version lock. I'll notify Clem if he doesn't see this. Thanks.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
chugadie

Post by chugadie »

Has this been resolved? It's now 2012 and I can't get Changelogs for any software to show up.
c30zD

Post by c30zD »

Well, I read somewhere that they had solved it, but there is a problem: you should get a new version of Mint in order to see the updated "MintUpdate". The problem is I'm not sure how to download that single package. I did it before they changed the Software Portal, when it was pretty simple, but now they seem not to give you that option. Nevertheless, I have two ideas, but be warned: I have not tried any of this, so you're on your own, also, remember that installing packages manually could damage your system, so you're doing this under your own risk (although I have not had any problems so far). Now, my ideas are: (1) Find the package either on Mint's web site or on some other place, like mirrors, or (2) Uninstall package "mintupdate" through Synaptic or whatever package manager you have and then use the Software Portal, where you should search for that same package and click "Install".

One important thing is that you should first try to install that latest version through the Software Portal without uninstalling MintUpdate. In my case, i tried but it said "mintupdate is already installed", even though the version I have is older than the latest version.

I would recommend you to start with idea number one (1), since I believe is more secure. Be sure to download at least version 4.3.2, which is newer than the version on Mint 9. That is not the latest, but at least it shows the changelog. However, if it doesn't show up, Go to Edit > Software Sources, and, on tab "Linux Mint" tick "Source Code", so it is enabled. Maybe there are some packages that won't show the changelog, but there are just a few. Until now I think it has only been one package.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
SvenRieke

Post by SvenRieke »

c30zD wrote:I would recommend you to start with idea number one (1), since I believe is more secure. Be sure to download at least version 4.3.2, which is newer than the version on Mint 9. That is not the latest, but at least it shows the changelog. However, if it doesn't show up, Go to Edit > Software Sources, and, on tab "Linux Mint" tick "Source Code", so it is enabled. Maybe there are some packages that won't show the changelog, but there are just a few. Until now I think it has only been one package.
I haven't tested your instructions, but as you talk about version 4.3.2, I'll tell you how behaves version 4.3.8 which I'm using with Mint 12 Lisa.
It doesn't show any Changelog, I only saw very few ones from Mint packages and mostly there were cut off in the middle.
If have marked all LinuxMint Software sources (from Main packages until Source code), downloads from Main server, and in other software I have enabled all repositories that come by default with the installation plus about 20 additional repositories.

Just to say that 4.3.8 installed on my system on 4th of february 2012 so it's kinda fresh and it still has that bug inside. :x

BTW, would be nice to have a search feature in the History of updates. :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”