Nvidia geforce 4 series

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shay255

Nvidia geforce 4 series

Post by Shay255 »

So I was just wondering just found out my nvidia card is geforce 4 series and just wondering now that I have finally figured this nvidia card out what nvidia driver do I install since I have the nvidia geforce series
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera

Re: Nvidia geforce 4 series

Post by antikythera »

geforce 4 is supported by nvidia-96 (a legacy package) which doesn't work at all with anything after mint 9 or so i have found. if you use a newer distribution then in my opinion you are best sticking with the supplied opensource drivers.
Shay255

Post by Shay255 »

Oh like the new linux mint 12 lxde or lubuntu 11.10
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

antikythera wrote:geforce 4 is supported by nvidia-96 (a legacy package) which doesn't work at all with anything after mint 9 or so i have found. if you use a newer distribution then in my opinion you are best sticking with the supplied opensource drivers.
On Mint 11 the driver indeed does not work. But with 12 it works again and it also worked with 10. Indeed, the driver is somewhat buggy on newer versions and doesn't always work well, but usually Mint 9, 10 or 12 should just run fine.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Software & Applications”