Making mint look like windows for the man(MOM)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xpmon

Making mint look like windows for the man(MOM)

Post by xpmon »

I wanna know a question that has been asked before.
but i want the best so that there no differentiation between mint and windows 7,
I know there are different methods and variations on the net.
I know this may not be be possible but I want to use the latest version of mint (Lisa)for obvious reasons.
I also want to know if it is possible to change the layout of libra/open office to look like microssoft office
I would be really Grateful.

and remember this is for the mom who calls me every-time something happens, she does a great deal of writing she has tried both open office and libra and she didn't like them so I Had to reinstall microsoft office 2010 actually and she is gotten used to that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spiljka

Re: Making mint look like windows for the man(MOM)

Post by spiljka »

Why dont you try Zorin OS its the same as WIN7. :D

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

Hope it help
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

xpmon wrote:I wanna know a question that has been asked before...but i want the best so that there no differentiation between mint and windows 7,..I know there are different methods and variations on the net.
..but i want the best so that there no differentiation between mint and windows 7..
That is not the best: the best is a choice Linux or Windows
  • --And the best choice is what suits each OS, for example windows OS has better gaming support (companies providing games)
  • Linux has at the least equivalent applications and more, especially in science than the windows OS does..
    Since she wants to use only Microsoft office applications, this process of trying to make Linux act like windows is impossible, she will notice any differences..
  • --I also looked at Zorin, it seems to be essentially a look for windows but using the underlying Linux applications and some of the normal Linux desktop icons and applications: doesn't look like that will will.
If there is no way she wants to use any thing other than windows OS, I suggest giving up and weaning her off your support, and since she wants to pay for Ms Office and any other system programs such as anti-virus that she would have to use in windows (unless she wants Microsoft security essentials)..
--Suggest to her..
  • Windows remote help (from Microsoft)
  • Paying for remote support from an online service
  • Calling in PC repair company, such as Geeks or Nerds (online)
It can't be that bad that she needs much help especially if she is concentrating on only using Ms office products as her main activity on the computer.
xpmon

Post by xpmon »

what you are saying is true except MS office is not activated so everytime she goes on it a "not activated" message comes up this is one of the reasons i want free and open source software cos I hate those that are not. I could use kms activator or something like that but i don't really trust them. I also checked the zorin website but it mentioned money so I just moved on.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have made a detail tutorial on how to perform complete theme transformation to Windows 7 at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 96#p665839
:D
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

xpmon wrote: I know this may not be be possible but I want to use the latest version of mint (Lisa)for obvious reasons.

The latest version of Mint is not Lisa. Lisa will be unsupported in a few months,April 2013. The lastet LTS version is LM 13 Maya (supported until 2017). The lastest version of Mint is LM 14 Nadia (supported until 2014).

Moreover LM is not hard to figure out you mom should easily find her way around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PTQVeCF9k
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Chat about Linux”