Laptop overheating

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Ness

Laptop overheating

Post by Ness »

Hello everyone. I'm currently having (what I think is) an issue. When my System is idling or if I even just have like a Web Browser open, my Laptop is averaging about 60°C to 70°C. I've attempted to clean my fan on several occasions previously but I'm beginning to think this may not be where the issue is.

I installed lm-sensors and this is what is currently displaying..

Code: Select all

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +67.0°C  

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +67.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +115.5°C, hyst = +110.5°C)
When I try to run a game (like Spiral Knights) my Temperature goes up to about 90°C to 95°C almost immediately.

I'm not really sure what information you need (fairly new to Linux in general). If you need any more information can you please tell me what to put in the Terminal so I can provide the information that might help resolve this?

And also sometimes it's hard for me to understand certain terminology, if responses can be.. er.. simple to understand I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I_can_see_the_light

Re: Laptop overheating

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

In the terminal, enter this command:

Code: Select all

cpufreq-info
If that application isn't installed you will be made aware of it. To install it enter: sudo apt-get install cpufreq-utils

The command cpufreq-info will tell you whether cpu frequency scaling is used. In many cases that is what's missing when a laptop gets overheated.

Return to “LMDE Archive”