Safe to add pure-Debian repos? squeeze? wheezy? sid?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ckirk

Safe to add pure-Debian repos? squeeze? wheezy? sid?

Post by ckirk »

Is it safe to add these to sources.list? I don't want to mess up my system and I know in debian-world that mixing branches could be disastrous. I switched from LMDE to Debian because I had trouble compiling wine from git and figured I'd run into other problems down the line but I really don't like the way XFCE looks in Debian 6.0.4 and if I can safely add debian debs and debian repos then I think I can safely be happy with LMDE. Thoughts?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Safe to add pure-Debian repos? squeeze? wheezy? sid?

Post by zerozero »

lmde IS debian squeezy/testing (if you are using latest or incoming, the only difference is a delay in the updates because they are delivered to you in packs in order to be tested and proved saved and breakage-prone)

in one point you are right, tho, mixing releases (stable/testing/sid) can bring instability to your system, but can be done, if you know exactly how and what you are looking for
bugmenot2012

Post by bugmenot2012 »

LMDE is not debian testing. My desktop runs debian testing, the one I'm writing this on runs LMDE. Mine has vlc 2 and latest firefox, this one has not seen an upgrade for months and still pretends to be up to date while running vlc 1.11 and firefox 9.

Debian testing is a rolling release distro, LMDE is more like a fixed cycle update release distro with an additional layer of a mix of useful software (mint tools) and really broken and annoying software (stylish addon, custom google, ...).

So nope, definitely not the same thing.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, if you say so :P i won't deny it :lol:
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

bugmenot2012 wrote:LMDE is not debian testing.
It's a copy of Testing from last November. Stalled from being updated due to work on Mint 12 and Cinnamon. Udate Pack 4 is being readied right now which is a more recent copy of Testing.
bugmenot2012 wrote:Debian testing is a rolling release distro.
Come back in a few months and say that. Testing will be frozen in about 3 months. Sid is the only true rolling distro Debian has.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

bugmenot2012 wrote:LMDE is not debian testing.
Perhaps your LMDE is not Debian testing, but my LMDE has been successfully pointing directly at Debian testing for over a year now. I had not seen the instability and breakages as a serious enough issue, more of a non-issue in my opinion, to start using the update packs last July, so I never have. Still happily running along on testing.

I'm not saying your way of doing LMDE is wrong, just pointing out that LMDE can be Debian testing if you want it to be. Linux, choice, and all that.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

You can do it, but you just have to be careful. I use sid to download a few packages every now and then, but I never upgrade with it. (That's a pretty good general rule if you just want to dip your toes in.)
Berkah

Post by Berkah »

Tx for those hints of more experienced LMDE users! :D
Will save me some trouble, I am shure!
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

I believe Debian Testing is Wheezy at the moment.
crborga

Post by crborga »

I recommend add the source and backporting instead of adding the actual repository which is simple enough to do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get build-dep example
mkdir example
cd example
apt-get -b source example
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Berkah

Post by Berkah »

Thanks for that idea! :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”