No "Line in" sound. It is not muted.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bo_knows

No "Line in" sound. It is not muted.

Post by bo_knows »

On another PC running Win7, I used the PC and monitor to hook my PS3 up. The video went to the monitor, and the audio went into the line-in on the PC and out the speakers.

I moved this setup down to my Mint 12 PC, and I can't seem to get it to recognize the line-in at all. I see "Analong Line-in" as an option in the Sound panel's inputs, and I see "Line" in the alsamixer, unmuted, and yet I can't get any sound to happen.

Any other steps I can take to troubleshoot this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Kite Eating Tree

Re: No "Line in" sound. It is not muted.

Post by The Kite Eating Tree »

If you want to play the sound through the speakers I believe you need to load module-loopback in pulseaudio. But you should still see the input level going up and down in sound settings when audio is playing in line-in. If that's the case try "pactl load-module module-loopback" in the terminal and see if you can get it to work then. If you can't see the input level rising and falling it may be another issue, but I've always needed to load module-loopback to get my line-in to play through my speakers.
bo_knows

Post by bo_knows »

Ahh, I should have mentioned in the OP that I did in fact try

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-loopback
and it resulted in an output to the shell of some number (26?). It did not solve the problem. Also, your speculation is correct... I do not see any input rising/falling in the volume control when I watch the Line-In.
The Kite Eating Tree

Post by The Kite Eating Tree »

Ah ok. If you haven't already install pavucontrol and make sure the proper input device doesn't show up there. If it does go to recording and view all streams and change the input for the loopback. Otherwise try

arecord -l
and see what input devices you have. Pulseaudio might not be recognizing the correct device. For example I have

card 0: HD [USB Sound Blaster HD], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HD [USB Sound Blaster HD], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
card 1: U0x46d0x819 [USB Device 0x46d:0x819], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 2: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
as output for me. Pulseaudio picks up card 0 device 0, but card 0 device 1 is the one that actually has a line-in. I can always pick between these in Audacity and record so that might be a way to figure out if this is the problem. If so something along the lines of

pactl load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,1
might do the trick. Assuming this is the built-in sound card I wouldn't think this was necessary though. I just had to do this though so I thought I'd let you know.

Also from what I can tell the number loading the module returns is just the pulseaudio module index. If you do

pacmd
and then type

list-modules
you can see all of the modules currently loaded and their indexes.
bo_knows

Post by bo_knows »

The line-in for the card shows up in pavucontrol.

>>> bo@bo-basement ~ $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M5461 [HDA ULI M5461], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
So, I don't think it even SEES an input line, but I'm not sure how that is possible since it's in the volume control panel.

I actually just bought a $7 PCI sound card from Microcenter. I'm going to toss it in and see if I can get a different result.

Return to “LMDE Archive”