so slow!! Why ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chronei

so slow!! Why ?

Post by chronei »

I have Linux Mint 12 x64 with the latest cinnamon (well, even without cinnamon, same issue):

It's so slow! I have the new Aspire One 722 netbook (amd dual core c60 w/turbo core), 4gb ddr3 memory) and everything is so slow responding. I click on the menu button at the bottom left and after click, it takes at least 5 seconds to bring up the start menu. When I search for something, one letter shows every 1 second with lag. After clicking an icon, it takes a good 5 seconds to load something so basic. Windows 7 x64 everything instantly loads and that's a much heavier environment.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm still sorta new to Linux, but I have a good foundation so far. I love the way it works so I want to use it, so please help :) I currently dual boot to windows 7 x64 home premium.

ALsO another random problem: i set the keyboard shortcut to try to make windows key open the linux mint menu, but as testing it, i accidentally put as shift+s. when i removed the custom keyboard shortcut since it didnt work, i can no longer shift+s to capitalize my 's'. Why? :/
DrHu

Re: so slow!! Why ?

Post by DrHu »

chronei wrote:After clicking an icon, it takes a good 5 seconds to load something so basic. Windows 7 x64 everything instantly loads and that's a much heavier environment.
For Linux (Mint 12 etc..)
  • Perhaps you have too many services running
  • Perhaps you are searching for services that are not available, for example a samba shared connection (a windows OS shared folder..)
  • Perhaps there are some menu bugs or issues for that Linux desktop (Cinnamon) or if you are using another one, you don't say (such as LXDE or XFCE , which are smaller and faster/lighter weight desktops
  • Perhaps you have too much eye candy running
  • Perhaps you do not use the PAE kernel that allows for more than 4GB address space in a 32bit OS..
  • Perhaps you should match the address level between windows OS and Linux OS, that is use 64bit for each (some graphic processing and system operations are quicker on a 64bit system)
    And so on: ou will have to do some research
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/685
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

How is it with logging in with MATE instead of with Cinnamon or Gnome? Perhaps MATE would be faster. And the C-50 is a slow processor, that might be holding it back some (1 GHz dualcore; a smartphone is faster :(). But you have a good amount of memory, which should compensate largely, because there wouldn't be much need to swap :D

When you are waiting for the computer it often feels like a lot of time; perhaps time it with a watch and see how many seconds it actually takes? And does the speed improve after you do the same action another time?
chronei

Post by chronei »

[*]Perhaps you have too many services running[/b]
No -- it's a fresh install with Wine being the only extra, but this has always done this from fresh install.

[*]Perhaps you are searching for services that are not available, for example a samba shared connection (a windows OS shared folder..)[/b]
I'll search for items I know that exists. You know how they show as you type? I'll type "libre" for office and it will type "L....*1 second* I ... *1 second* B.....etc. Also the same lag when I backspace or try to click out. Then when I hover mouse over different options, the mouse moves at normal speed, but the items do not get focused until 1/2 second after it's selected. Doesn't sound that long of a wait in writing, but you gurus probably know what it's like. Also, compared to a heavy OS like Windows 7 x64, I have SO MANY services running and it's as smooth as butter, almost anything I do.

[*]Perhaps there are some menu bugs or issues for that Linux desktop (Cinnamon) or if you are using another one, you don't say (such as LXDE or XFCE , which are smaller and faster/lighter weight desktops[/b]
Cinnamon (what I use now) .. laggy //
MATE .. just as laggy! Maybe 1/50 of a second faster

[*]Perhaps you have too much eye candy running[/b]
Again, Windows 7 .. can run everything. The specs are pretty nice on this PC. W7 runs full aero UI with HD everything max settings.

[*]Perhaps you do not use the PAE kernel that allows for more than 4GB address space in a 32bit OS..[/b]
I don't have more than 4GB memory ..... or when you say address space, is that same as swap space? Please advise more on this.. - thanks!

[*]Perhaps you should match the address level between windows OS and Linux OS, that is use 64bit for each (some graphic processing and system operations are quicker on a 64bit system)[/b]
I have 64-bit on both OS

Other questions I saw:

"How long exactly?"
With Cinnamon, GNOME, and MATE (MATE being ONLY SLIGHTLY faster, like 5% faster, but still ungodly slow)When I haven't used the menu for a few minutes and click, it takes 4 seconds of lag to come up.
Typing or backspacing at a fast rate, the letters appear one at a time @ 1 second per word.
Hovering over an icon to select, the mouse moves at normal speed, but the focus selects the icon with a 1/2 second lag.
Clicking out has 1 second lag

"Does the speed improve after doing the same task after?"
Yes, but only opening the menu. It lags for only 2 seconds instead of 4, but that still seems like a pretty long time to me. Everything else still lags at same rate, such as typing in the live search box.

"Get a lightweight, too many services, etc"
Again, I run Windows 7 x64 VERY fast and efficiently. This has more unnecessary services running and bulking up my system in the background than any other OS. I have even more extra services on top of the default ones running. Fyi, Acer Aspire One 722 is "linux certified", if that helps anything -- tested to run smooth and efficiently, in theory.

"x64 only detects more than 4gb ram"
I have exactly 4gb so it should be okay.

"Anything else (SUMMARY)?"
To summarize, Cinnamon, Gnome, and MATE logins of Linux Mint 12 (x64, fully updated) has massive lags when it comes to anything to do with the menu.
BUT, any other process is extremely speedy! Browsing through folders, hovering over desktop icons, when I type to select a folder when browsing through folders, and software too, all work VERY fast and efficiently. JUST anything to do with the Linux Mint menu ~

Question for my extra question:
How do I reset the keyboard shortcuts to default ?? For some reason, I did something weird, and I can't Shift+S (capital S doesn't do anything at all. I'm typing this on another PC fyi which is why I can do it now)
Last edited by chronei on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

The sluggish response is one thing I noticed in both LM 11 and LM 12. I don't know if it has to do with the Ubuntu base or what. I do not see this sluggishness in LMDE on the same machine so it's definitely something in the OS.
chronei

Post by chronei »

squeezy wrote:The sluggish response is one thing I noticed in both LM 11 and LM 12. I don't know if it has to do with the Ubuntu base or what. I do not see this sluggishness in LMDE on the same machine so it's definitely something in the OS.
That's what I'm starting to suspect as well. I've never used Debian before.. can you still use Cinnamon with Debian? And what about other software, like Wine, Libre Office, and other apps -- do they install the same way? Are the terminal commands the same, more or less? What are the major differences between the two? Deciding if I should try that ~

Thanks

EDIT: Anyone know if Linux Mint Debian XFCE behaves better then? I've been reading the XFCE is pretty cool being so customizable. How do you guys like it in comparison?
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

chronei wrote:
EDIT: Anyone know if Linux Mint Debian XFCE behaves better then? I've been reading the XFCE is pretty cool being so customizable. How do you guys like it in comparison?
I can't guarantee LMDE XFCE will run any more smoothy, since it your computer should be able to handle Mint 12, but I've used it and it's a rather nice little distro. As a bonus, you should be able to avoid the move to GNOME 3 which will come out with Update Pack 4.

Almost all Ubuntu apps install nicely on debian, and the basic terminal commans are pretty much the same (apt family, etc.) The only major difference from a software installation POV is that you won't be able to use PPAs anymore, since those are Ubuntu-only.

I'd also recommend you at least feel comfortable following instructions for terminal commands, if not neccesarily comfortable messing around yourself, and to do a little tweaking when you get in. I first made the switch off of (K/X/L)Ubuntu around February, and it's been pretty smooth sailing for me.

In essence, I'd sum up the difference between Mintbuntu and Mint Debian as "You should feel comfortable following documentation for terminal commands to use Mint Debian." You'll find yourself installing from source and fixing config files slightly more often with Debian. And if you're not perfectly comfortable but are willing to learn, jump right in :D

I'd be happy to answer any other questions I can about LMDE, although I'm using the GNOME version right now. Contemplating switching back to Xfce as GNOME3 rolls around.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

mate, i also had similar issues with mint 12 & cinnamon on my ASUS UL50VT laptop, 64 bit.

ubuntu 1204 runs sweet, and even faster with cinnamon

but KDE mint 12 with kde 4.8 runs SO much faster then the newer gnomes including cinnamon and alot cooler as well.

perhaps you should experiment with mint kde 12 with kde 4.8????

you wont be disappointed

ps win7 runs even faster, COOLER and smoother then any of the linux distros on this laptop, but then again, its the poor linux GPU drivers thats causing the biggest desktop lagging performance and because of that, it really bogs / causes big laggy desktop performance.
if only the driver issues be ironed out, im sure that linux would then run as par as the earlier windows. perhaps in another 5 years the quality and performance of GPU drivers for linux would be in par with windows 2000....
Last edited by ibm450 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
spandey

Post by spandey »

Just for curiosity, have you checked your IRQ's if Graphics is not being interfered by something else. This should help you decide.

Code: Select all

sudo cat /proc/interrupts
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Your CPU it's not fast but it's not so slow either, you should be able to run Mint 12 with Cinnamon just fine. There must be something wrong, check what was already mentioned, make sure you have all updates, including a newer kernel if necessary and the latest BIOS for your computer. If that doesn't work try something different like Mint XFCE or Mint 12 LXDE, both should be fast on your computer.
chronei

Post by chronei »

All fantastic suggestions guys -- I will experiment over the next week and post my results.

"including a newer kernel if necessary" .. can you please explain this? I thought the kernel was the same as the OS (Linux Mint 12 Gnome)? Or is the kernel what TYPE of LM12 it is (gnome, KDE, debian, etc)?

I'm *starting* to get pretty familiar with using the terminal, but not installing from source yet and complex installations. I'll play around with that. I'll also check out KDE -- it's pretty much the same everything, just the overall design, right? I'll check it out :)
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

chronei wrote:
"including a newer kernel if necessary" .. can you please explain this? I thought the kernel was the same as the OS (Linux Mint 12 Gnome)? Or is the kernel what TYPE of LM12 it is (gnome, KDE, debian, etc)?
The kernel is the minimal bit of code required to run the operating system. There are different flavors of kernels, but most kernels are universal across Linux systems.

For example, the OS I'm typing this from right now, Arch Linux, uses a 3.2.8 kernel, while most Ubuntu systems currently use the 3.0.0 kernel. The difference is in speed, support for various things, and security.

It'll take you a while to pikk up on exactly what a different kernel does vs a different Linux system, vs different Linux software, but I promise it'll seem plain as day once you do.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

+1 chipbuster

if you want to play around with the latest kernels, here the link
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

for full explanation on how to install them,
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185
Image Image
frank_claessen

Post by frank_claessen »

Hi,

answers below!!
chronei wrote:I have Linux Mint 12 x64 with the latest cinnamon (well, even without cinnamon, same issue):

It's so slow! I have the new Aspire One 722 netbook (amd dual core c60 w/turbo core), 4gb ddr3 memory) and everything is so slow responding. I click on the menu button at the bottom left and after click, it takes at least 5 seconds to bring up the start menu. When I search for something, one letter shows every 1 second with lag. After clicking an icon, it takes a good 5 seconds to load something so basic. Windows 7 x64 everything instantly loads and that's a much heavier environment.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm still sorta new to Linux, but I have a good foundation so far. I love the way it works so I want to use it, so please help :) I currently dual boot to windows 7 x64 home premium.

ALsO another random problem: i set the keyboard shortcut to try to make windows key open the linux mint menu, but as testing it, i accidentally put as shift+s. when i removed the custom keyboard shortcut since it didnt work, i can no longer shift+s to capitalize my 's'. Why? :/
My installations are both snappy as can be. Never before I've seen a faster linux distro and I am using them since 1999.
So there must be something wrong with your installation.
One thing I would like to know is - how large is your menu? Did you install the defaults and some more or did you install everything you could think of?

I guess something was left behind when you remove the Shift-S option.
You can install gconf-editor (sudo apt-get install gconf-editor) and than have a look at the keyboard shortcuts (do some searching for that).

I bet you have the short-cut still active without a command attached.

Hope this helps - keep me posted ok?
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

no matter what tweak or mods i applied, the slowness issue with my mint12 + cinnamon got the better of me, sorry mint guys, had to let mint12 go - trying solusos atm & the performance is somewhat alot better then mint12.

at this stage, the apps in solusos are running alittle too buggy, so for time being, ill be reverting back to mint 10 and mint kde12 but will be keeping a close eye on solusos.

hoping the slowness will be ironed out in mint13 and looking forward to mint kde13 :)
Image Image
ashbaby

Post by ashbaby »

Hey, I am using a much more underpowered netbook than you do and running the main edition Lisa x64. I will post link to a tutorial which worked for me.. really worked and now very fast.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/328

This tutorial by Wanda about changing the swap tendency really made the overall experience atleast 30% faster. I also ensured to make separate partitions for Home and tmp while installing, but that it not a criteria. I have just 2Gb RAM.

Hope it helps you
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

yeah, thanks, thats one of the first things i do after fresh install of any ubuntu based OS.

its not so much of swappiness, its more of cinnamon, is cinnamon compiled in java (only guessing)? if so, java is one of the slowest languages?
Image Image
frank_claessen

Post by frank_claessen »

ibm450 wrote:yeah, thanks, thats one of the first things i do after fresh install of any ubuntu based OS.

its not so much of swappiness, its more of cinnamon, is cinnamon compiled in java (only guessing)? if so, java is one of the slowest languages?
I bet you anything you like that it's not Cinnamon that causes the sluggishness. I think the best thing would be to sort this out; what's causing this is also influencing other distro's.

Cheers
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

... what's causing this is also influencing other distro's.
oh dear ! :shock: not good

running SolusOS atm and boy, this things fast, much like LMDE - heard about it on mintcast and really enjoying it so far, love the philosophy behind it

http://www.mintcast.org/2012/03/episode ... n-solusos/
Image Image
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi Ikey,
Just curious what language is original Genome is written for example Gnome 2.30.

Return to “Beginner Questions”