PXE install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: PXE install

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint AlienQueen
My experience of PXE is limited...
But tell us more about what goes wrong
And have you had any success with Gutsy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
blosch

Post by blosch »

Hi,

I'm also trying to do a network install of Linux Mint using PXE (my laptop doesn't have a CD drive), but without success. Works fine with other distros (eg: ubuntu, gentoo).

Here's what I did in my attempt to get it working:
Mount LinuxMint-4.0.iso
Copy all files to my tftpboot directory
Add LinxuMint my pxelinux.cfg/default file

It loads the initrd and kernel, but after a few seconds I get kicked to a busybox prompt.. I could not find the preseed/ubuntu.seed, so I can't passe it in the APPEND statement. Also, I highly suspect that the system doesn't know how to get isolinux/filesystem.squash once PXE is done..

Hope that made a little bit of sense.
Krzysiek

Post by Krzysiek »

Coping all files to tftpboot won't help. Loader(pxe) downloads (via tftp) only kernel and inirtd.
Ways to solve this problem:
+add needed files to inird(but you need huge amount of ram because inird is copied directly to ram) and modify init
+mount files via nfs
+install mint on other machine (np. VirtualPC), copy to your laptop and install grub on your disk (you can install ubuntu then delete it and then copy mint (easiest way to get grub for you;))

Return to “Installation & Boot”