Daryna: S-L-O-W install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Daryna: S-L-O-W install

Post by T J Tulley »

I am installing Daryna in 3 new logical drives for /, swap and ext3 (later, my home). These are in a 500 GB HDD with plenty of spare space as well. / is 5 GB, swap is 2 GB and ext3 (mounted at /media/sdc10) is 33 GB - total 40 GB.

Step 5 of 7 in Install is an option I don't remember - offers to migrate Docs & Settings from other accounts. I have selected 1 Windows and my most recent Ubuntu (Celena) and have specified the same User, login and password as before.

Now the Step 5 screen continues - baout 90 minutes so far - with its little rotating disc as the mouse cursor.
I am sending this from Firefox in the the virtual installation in memory! Fortunately I was able to consult the txt file in which I keep notes of usernames and passwords!

I suspect that the long delay may be due to Docs & Settings from Windows being imported into the new HDD - a mistake, as it will still be available in its original system - as will the Celena installation.

I have opened a terminal and in response to ~$ top it shows about 130 tasks, with a variable single figure running, nearly all for root but a few for mint as users. The table constantly changes; briefly haldaemo, and also messageb, - have appeared as users.

Any comments? BTW, a progress bar would be useful for processes like this - also for scanning discs during the set-up for manual installation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Husse

Re: Daryna: S-L-O-W install

Post by Husse »

As far as I can remember you can only import settings from one account, but maybe I read you wrongly
Skip the import if it hangs there, you can do that manually quite easily when it's installed (it's mainly your email and browser settings and passwords)
I have also experienced hanging in that step, so I think there may be some problems with it.
To start over is luckily no big deal
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Daryna: S-L-O-W install

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Husse - it continued in Step 5 overnight (10 hours!), and "Back" on that screen was greyed out - I had to cancel and quit this morning.

Much later: Daryna installed this evening in about 50 minutes with no imported accounts. (Step 5 of the procedure definitely offers to import selected accounts - plural. It shows a list of all installed systems, including 3 copies of Windows XP Pro. I selected none this time). The previous failure may have been because I changed the setting while it was happening.

Now my most recently used partitions, where I need to access my data, are not visible on my desktop in Daryna - presumably not mounted. They are visible in Device Manager (in Control centre).

I can't see how to import my Thunderbird and Firefox settings and archives - TB offers in Tools a blank box of accounts to import from, and no way of browsing. I could copy and paste from .Mozilla-Thunderbird in my home folder in Celena the Mail folder and the abook.mab file which I guess is the address book, but it's a different version of TB and the file structure is slightly different. I can guess where to put them.

I've gone back to Celena to post this, and here the new partitions containing Daryna are not visible on the Desktop! Both desktops are set to show mounted partitions. The command ~$ df -h doesn't show them, so presumably they are not mounted here - is that a result of Grub?

In detail, my working data is mainly in my latest Windows file structure in sda1; Celena is in sda5(/), 7(home) & 8(swap). sda is the EIDE Primary Master (80 GB).

The primary slave is sdb (200 GB) - Cassandra is in sdb1(/) and 5(swap); 2 earlier copies of the Windows system are in sdb2 & 3. I have used these as locations for backup copies.

Daryna is installed in sdc8(/), 9(swap) and 10(home). sdc is a 500 GB disk, SATA Primary. Grub now offers Daryna or Celena, not Cassandra, and a Windows which won't boot.

I shall be most grateful for any advice. Perhaps I should re-install and select the option to import accounts from Celena?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”