Linux Mint 12 LXDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 12 LXDE released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 LXDE RC. Linux Mint 12 LXDE RC New features at a glance: LXDE Hybrid ISO images Search engines Upstream components For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12 LXDE“.
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1937
Graes

Re: Linux Mint 12 LXDE released!

Post by Graes »

good :D

time to replace crunchbang on my old laptop :D
Keoh

Post by Keoh »

Ah a competitor for crunchbang.eh? let the war begin ;) i will download it on my other latop and get back at you with the test results between crunchbang and mints LXDE it should be interesting.:) Will there be a 64 BIT version released soon as well?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Out of the box Mint 12 LXDE uses more RAM than Crunchbang but you can tune both and it's possible to cut Mint 12 LXDE RAM usage at idle after boot to half.
WildTux

Post by WildTux »

Good!
Keoh

Post by Keoh »

ok after running LXDE a while i have found this much out so far..Very high cpu usage 43 % thats with running only firefox and one window open. thats straight out the box unmodified..its stable though has not crashed yet but my fan keeps running trying to cool down the machine.oh well i tried it out at least.:) But with high CPU usage and overheating its not for me.

Post by 53662354 »

Keoh wrote:ok after running LXDE a while i have found this much out so far..Very high cpu usage 43 % thats with running only firefox and one window open. thats straight out the box unmodified..its stable though has not crashed yet but my fan keeps running trying to cool down the machine.oh well i tried it out at least.:) But with high CPU usage and overheating its not for me.
i think you need to install the microcode....go to syn package manager and type in microcode.

I don't know what processor you are running.
Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. Just installed gkrellm and am running Mint 12 LXDE live. With one terminal open and firefox running, Gkrellm shows 240 MB in use and 265 MB of swap. AFAIK it's no heavier on resources than Mint 11 LXDE was, which is a very good result.

Thanks for another fine release,

CP .
Elt10W

Post by Elt10W »

I just wonder why there is no default webcam app? Most machines today come with a built-in cam, ... one would even say this is now a 'standard' rather than 'exotic' part of a computer system. IMVHO, the intent of a live CD us usually to evaluate the distro and how well it supports / performs on the user's hardware.
voy108

Post by voy108 »

Thank you for a fine release of Mint LXDE. I'm new to Mint and so far really enjoying it. I have Mint 12 with Cinnamon on my main laptop and this lite version is running well on my old, old Satellite A65. Very limited resources in this laptop and no, it doesn't have a webcam built in so a lite version is appreciated. I do have it on my other laptop and and netbook and have not used the camera on either yet. I still have bad vibes from the old days of webcam so haven't tried it yet. I have friends using Skype so will use the other computers for it. It's nice to be able to use this old anchor rather than it collecting dust in the corner. Also, I didn't like Puppy so having a "full release" is great for use on this old thing.
Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Colonel Panic »

voy108 wrote:Thank you for a fine release of Mint LXDE. I'm new to Mint and so far really enjoying it. I have Mint 12 with Cinnamon on my main laptop and this lite version is running well on my old, old Satellite A65. Very limited resources in this laptop and no, it doesn't have a webcam built in so a lite version is appreciated. I do have it on my other laptop and and netbook and have not used the camera on either yet. I still have bad vibes from the old days of webcam so haven't tried it yet. I have friends using Skype so will use the other computers for it. It's nice to be able to use this old anchor rather than it collecting dust in the corner. Also, I didn't like Puppy so having a "full release" is great for use on this old thing.
Good to see you're able to get Mint 12 running on such an old machine. Out of interest though, what didn't you like about Puppy? I always keep at least one Puppy variant going even when I'm using other distros (and I'm posting from Puppy Exton, a Swedish Puppy variant, now).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Lets keep on topic about "Linux Mint 12 LXDE released" :wink:

Discussion about other Linux distros please move to chat http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=61
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

WHta is the ram comsumption on boot and also hwat can be tuned down?

Last time i tried it the RAM usage was even higher than Lubuntu and the system was quite slow to respond.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

mastablasta wrote:WHta is the ram comsumption on boot and also hwat can be tuned down?
You have a detailed answer in the PDF file at the beginning of the post "Linux Mint 12 LXDE - RAM tuning": http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465

By default Mint LXDE uses more RAM than Lubuntu but there is a lot you can remove from Mint LXDE.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

After having custom install problems with MInt 11 LXDE, I downloaded and installed MInt 12 LXDE next to LM 12 Lisa (main edition) on my MacBook (which I've converted into a LinuxBook) and have not noticed any CPU or RAM issues. I've also added a few programs that I tend to use regularly, as well as my document, extensive music, and photo files. So far, everything so far seems fine. In short, I like it! :)
Rayiner

Post by Rayiner »

I finally installed it on my netbook (ASUS EEE PC 1001PX) and it work very well!
THANKS!
MaineTim

Post by MaineTim »

Been running LMDE with XFCE for a year or so (having come from Debian testing), and was looking for something even lighter. Two weeks into Mint LXDE and with one exception (Firefox very occasionally crashes with a glib memory alloc error), all is running well, and the system resource usage is much better. Thanks for all the efforts to put this edition together!
Zauberlehrling!

Post by Zauberlehrling! »

I just run Mint XLDE in Live mode.

Question 1> Where can I change the keyboard language to German, since I have a German Keyboard.
Question 2> What is the difference between XLDE and MATE/Gnome?
Question 3> In case I want move from MATE/Gnome to LXDE, can I just install it over or do I need a complete new installation?

Thanks for any answer.
Stanssongs

Post by Stanssongs »

I have Mint 12 running on an older AMD64 3700+ and it is running GREAT out of the box, I haven't even fine tuned it or tweaked any config files yet!
Precise 12.04 was slow on that box, (Lubuntu) very CPU intensive, idled at about 70 and jumped up close to 100% when taking a screenshot for example and had a lot of bugs, hangs etc.

I have Fedopra 16 , and openSUSE 12.1, MacPup528, and Puppy (wary) all on it on different partitions, (and still an install of 10.10 Maverick) (and a couple more;)
but the Mint is the fastest besides maybe the Wary Puppy, and Maverick so far, and it seems really Stable so Far.

Fedora is pretty fast with LXDE, but has locked up twice and SUSE gets unstable after a while it seems, (all before I tweaked them, and afterwards), but Mint has been on a while now and is rock solid so far, and it may win out in speed overall too even, as I haven't even fine tuned it yet, still using defaults, (Gnome), will tweak it tomorrow.
I am thinking of partitioning me some more Mint space now... :idea: :-)

If nothing adverse happens it looks like I will be using Mint on my laptop and other box too, Since Support ended for Maverick.

I tried KDE in SUSE and Gnome 3x. I settled on Gnome and manually configured it till I got icons on desktop etc, and some menus on there too, was a task, but Mint has the Best of both worlds already!

I am Loving Mint 12, Thanks!!!
:D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”