no sound with Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rayandrews

no sound with Xfce

Post by rayandrews »

I'm trying to get away from the Gnome chaos and so I thoght I'd try a simpler desktop. So far I'm quite liking my new install of LMDE-Xfce and in many ways I find it better than Gnome 2, but I have spent the last 5 hours trying to get the sound working with no luck. alsamixer finds the card just fine and I've unmuted everything that is unmutable and moved all the sliders up. I've run 'sudo alsactl save' and yet, when I fire up the gui, both 'mixer' and 'gnome-mixer' show no sound cards present. However 'Settings Editor' shows the card as 'Intel82801BAICH2Alsamixer' after 'active-card' but after 'sound-card' it shows 'PlaybackDummyOutputPulseAudioMixer' then after 'sound-cards' it show nothing.

My sound works fine with LMDE-Gnome2. lspci shows another sound device on my machine as well, but it's not functional. The real sound is #1 vs. #0 for the nonfunctional one. If I could just disable #0?

Hope someone has some ideas, I won't use a distro with busted sound :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rayandrews

Re: no sound with Xfce

Post by rayandrews »

FWIW I can play sound at CLI with 'aplay' so whatever the problem is, it seems to be specific to Xfce.
rayandrews

Post by rayandrews »

Found the problem. But it's so stupid that I just have to lay a rant on someone in the 'Ideas' department.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Do you have the card listed under the panel's 'sound Icon'? If so try to make visable the control. Make sure to tell properties of 'sound icon' (right click on) to use the right sound card and the track (control) the icon should control.

Sorry if your found idea the same/works better :?
J.Jay
rayandrews

Post by rayandrews »

jjaythomas wrote:Do you have the card listed under the panel's 'sound Icon'? If so try to make visable the control. Make sure to tell properties of 'sound icon' (right click on) to use the right sound card and the track (control) the icon should control.

Sorry if your found idea the same/works better :?
J.Jay
jjay,

If you want, read my rant in the 'ideas' section, but the short version is that I could go to 'Users and Groups' and add myself to the 'audio' group by ticking on the box, but the tick evaporated as soon as I closed the widget, thus I never did get added to the audio group until I rebooted the GUI as root, and then the tick stuck. End of problem except for wondering why in !@#$%$ users can't have access to the sound by default or at least some msg. to the effect that this needs to be done.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Glad works for you

That must be a quirk of your sound card, Never had to change User/Group setting to have sound on XFCE. Iguess I've been lucky with my hardware :D

J.Jay
rayandrews

Post by rayandrews »

jjaythomas wrote:Glad works for you

That must be a quirk of your sound card, Never had to change User/Group setting to have sound on XFCE. Iguess I've been lucky with my hardware :D

J.Jay
J,

I dunno, some distros I've tried have had troube with sound, some did not. In my case it was fixed in User/Group and I rant that that shouldn't be necessary. But if other guys have no trouble at all then maybe it's something unique to my machine. lspci does find two cards and only one of them is really there, maybe that's got something to do with it. I almost always have to play with alsa, maybe that somehow screws up the 'Group' thing.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

probally specific sound card in LMDE-XFCE

Ive had sound in one distro's XFCE spin But not in another Distro's XFCE edition. Also yes in XFCE no in Gnome ect. is same distro.
I'm personally usually good because my sound card is reused on new motherboard, built in motherboard (in that case don't boot at all or other problems also), or a older sys I'm reburbishing for charity (it's new stuff ussually have the problems :lol: but slower overall :( )

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”