What desktop have I got using Mint4win?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kernowmint

What desktop have I got using Mint4win?

Post by kernowmint »

I've just installed Mint 12 main edition on my new laptop (HP Pavilion g6) using Mint4win to try it out. I see the laptop's 64-bit and my live CD is 32-bit, I don't know if that makes a difference.

After investigating a graphics problem and discovering I had to edit the boot options by adding "no modeset", I finally got Lisa installed, but I don't know what version of the desktop I've got. It has dark grey panels top and bottom and menus for "Applications" and "Places" in the top left-hand corner. Is this MATE? If so, where can I find a tutorial on how to customise it? Or is this some kind of fallback option? I ran the CD as a live session on my old laptop and got Gnome 3 with MGSE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What desktop have I got using Mint4win?

Post by xenopeek »

This is the Gnome 3 "fallback" mode, which you get when your graphics card driver doesn't support 3D acceleration as needed by Gnome 3 Shell. Change your driver for your graphics card.

If you need help, run the following command and post output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -SGxc 0
BTW, it doesn't matter that you installed 32 bit on 64 bit :wink:
kernowmint

Re: What desktop have I got using Mint4win?

Post by kernowmint »

Thank you for that. Actually I decided to do something else, I put XFCE on instead and took off Gnome.

I thought Gnome 3 was supposed to be state-of-the art stuff, but the only computer I've had that would display it is a 5-year-old laptop! For full installations I shall "defect" to Mint LXDE edition from now on. LXDE is becoming my favourite desktop.

Return to “Installation & Boot”