Difference Between Gnome, KDE,

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Re: Difference Between Gnome, KDE,

Post by McLovin »

They are all dif types of desktop environments, or DE, and the differences are too numerous to list here. The best thing for you to do is to go their respective home pages, and look at them see what they ar what they can do and decide for yourself what is best for you.
http://www.kde.org/
http://www.gnome.org/
http://www.fluxbox.org/
http://www.xfce.org/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cutiger95

Post by cutiger95 »

Just to add to the confusion there are even more than the 4 you have listed. E17 is enlightenment and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival for Linux Mint E17. That desktop is different than any other that I have seen.

My advice for a newb is to stick with on of the big 2 until you get your bearings. Gnome or KDE. I flopped back and forth back and forth until settling on Gnome with an OS X slant.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

cutiger95 wrote:Just to add to the confusion there are even more than the 4 you have listed. E17 is enlightenment and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival for Linux Mint E17. That desktop is different than any other that I have seen.

My advice for a newb is to stick with on of the big 2 until you get your bearings. Gnome or KDE. I flopped back and forth back and forth until settling on Gnome with an OS X slant.
Don't ditch XFCE though, which is kind of a mix between Gnome and KDE - but unlike those two, it's fast as h€LL! :twisted:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

In terms of deciding which one is right for you, just download all the different versions of Mint and try out them out using the live disc.
molom

Post by molom »

Zwopper wrote:
cutiger95 wrote:Just to add to the confusion there are even more than the 4 you have listed. E17 is enlightenment and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival for Linux Mint E17. That desktop is different than any other that I have seen.

Don't ditch XFCE though, which is kind of a mix between Gnome and KDE - but unlike those two, it's fast as h€LL! :twisted:
A mix between KDE and Gnome? I will have to disagree there. XFCE is more like fluxbox and gnome or just a stripped down version of gnome, which is fast. Once the E17 edition is out, I would recommend it to anybody though (Don't try elive to destroy your E17 taste ;) ).

Cheers,
molom
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

A mix between KDE and Gnome? I will have to disagree there. XFCE is more like fluxbox and gnome or just a stripped down version of gnome, which is fast. Once the E17 edition is out, I would recommend it to anybody though (Don't try elive to destroy your E17 taste ;) ).

Cheers,
molom
...well I did mean in terms of operation, not in load, because in my mind Fluxbox has nothing to do with the others, a good wm for lower spec'd pc's though.
I DO look forward to the e17 edition, I've been trying out OpenGEU & gOS 2 just for fun...
WHEN can we expect a release!?

***** Excuses to hootmon for hijacking the thread!!! *****
Last edited by Zwopper on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
molom

Post by molom »

Zwopper wrote:

Cheers,
molom
...well I did mean in terms of operation, not inload, beacause in my mind fluxbox has nothing to do with the others, a good wm for lower speced pc's though.
I DO look forward to the e17 edition, I've been trying out OpenGEU & gOS 2 just for fun...
WHEN can we expect a release!?

***** Excuses to hootmon for hijacking the thread!!! *****
I can not give any date, because its unpredictable due to the developers (Maty) wedding arrangements. I'm not going to pester him for dates because his wedding is far more important than an OS. But believe me, I'm as eager as you to see his amazing creation :D .

Cheers,
molom
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

GNOME, KDE, and Xfce are desktop environments. Fluxbox is not, it's a window manager. The first three have many apps that you can also run in other desktop environments or window managers. I have all of them installed on different systems, as well as Openbox and Enlightenment, but I use certain KDE apps (Amarok, Konqueror, etc.) with each of them. Just looking at file managers, GNOME has Nautilus, KDE has Konqueror, and Xfce has Thunar. There aren't any Fluxbox apps that I know of that can be used under KDE or whatever.

Xfce is really a "lighter" desktop environment than GNOME or KDE. Some folks say it's the fastest one out there. It does seem much quicker than GNOME or KDE.

KDE seems to provide the user with more configuration tools than GNOME. Some people like that, some don't.

I think Enlightenment is perhaps the most fun to use, but KDE is my fav. Fluxbox and Openbox are nice for low-resource computers. GNOME and KDE may be the easiest to use if you're not comfortable with the command line.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

One thing that kinda confuses me is when ever I see Xfce distros it always seems to have the exact same apps as Gnome. So I guess my two questions are: Are they ported gnome apps or can Xfce just run Gnome stuff? And if all the apps are more or less the same why isnt everyone using Xfce since its faster?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

One thing that kinda confuses me is when ever I see Xfce distros it always seems to have the exact same apps as Gnome. So I guess my two questions are: Are they ported gnome apps or can Xfce just run Gnome stuff? And if all the apps are more or less the same why isnt everyone using Xfce since its faster?
One reason is that speed isn't the only issue. KDE and GNOME do have some things that Xfce doesn't have, which is partly why Xfce is faster.

But also, I think some people simply prefer the "looks" of one environment over another, or feel more comfortable using KDE or GNOME.

I don't use an Xfce distro, but I do use Xfce on top of other distros' GNOME or KDE. Seems to me that, at least for the most part, Xfce runs GNOME and KDE apps with no problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”