LXDE chokes on UL30a

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KennyE

LXDE chokes on UL30a

Post by KennyE »

I tried, I really did. My '09 Asus Ul30a stumbled and I experienced a bit of newbie frustration along the way.

I eagerly DL'ed the img, then attempted to install it to a 16gb SD via my on-board reader. Well, it seemed to install just fine, but BIOS wouldn't boot to it. Not to be discouraged, I installed it again, this time on my 16gb USB dongle. After reconfiguring BIOS again, it finally booted to a desktop. Then more issues...

It recognized my Alfa AWUS051NH just peachy, and even indicated a good connection to my router, but upon opening the browser... nothing... zip. I made several attempts, but finally gave up in frustration.

The UL30a has 6gb memory & SSD. It's quite frisky on XP, booting in 15 seconds. But I'd still like to eventually move to Linux - but not when this 60 YO newb has to struggle with, what should be, a simple, no frills install. Really bummed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: LXDE chokes on UL30a

Post by seppalta »

Hey, young fellow, what are you trying to install? Have you tried older systems like Mint 10-11 LXDE?
KennyE

Re: LXDE chokes on UL30a

Post by KennyE »

seppalta wrote:Hey, young fellow, what are you trying to install? Have you tried older systems like Mint 10-11 LXDE?
No. I just finished installing Lubuntu 12.04 and it was plug'n play from the get-go. Wanted 64 bit anyway which Mint apparently doesn't offer yet in LXDE.

Return to “Software & Applications”