XFCE (well terminal anyway) hates my old Dell

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: XFCE (well terminal anyway) hates my old Dell

Post by Husse »

This sounds a little bit like problems in Daryna with ccsm (Compiz configuration)
Do you use Beryl or Compiz?
You say "open a terminal window" - to be sure gnome terminal or whatever is used in XFCE?
What happens if you do Ctrl+Alt+F1 (up to 6)
And it's a real restart - are all your open programs closed by this?
And what video drivers do you use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok - sorry
It's way to easy to assume that the guy I'm trying to help knows what I know :)
F1 up to F6 puts you in different terminals F7 brings you back and X should not be killed in this case so your box is normal when it comes to that.
One thinks that opening another window would not do much harm....
Check that you have 815 resolution installed as well, seems it helps - never had an Intel video chip and hardly ever serviced one, so....
Soullous

Post by Soullous »

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the same problem on two old Dells (GX1100?, P3 733, 256-384 MB RAM). I just installed Linux Mint 4.0 XFCE B8 on them and they both kick me out of X and bring me back to the splash screen when I try to run the terminal.
Soullous

Post by Soullous »

Well, nevermind, I think I just found the answer several more pages down in my search. I'll post back if this doesn't work.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=4471
Husse

Post by Husse »

The xfce edition is not quite what you say, but it's based on the main edition.
And there's a problem with memory leaks especially with Firefox that seems to very hard to solve. This is why the final version takes it's time to appear

Return to “Software & Applications”