Skype, Linux Mint 12 KDE x64

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArminasAnarchy

Skype, Linux Mint 12 KDE x64

Post by ArminasAnarchy »

Hi all!

In the summer, I decided to make the move from Windows to Linux. I tried a variety of distros before deciding on Linux Mint as the perfect one, I love the way it just works .

I like to be up to date, so switched to Lisa when it came out. The new GNOME was annoying however, so within the last few days I've switched over to the KDE RC.

The installation went fine, but I've had a few teething problems. I've attempted to install Skype, both using the package manager and via the terminal. It installs fine, but then doesn't run. A block appears for it in the taskbar, loading symbol and all, but nothing shows on screen, and as far as I can see, no skype process starts to run (I've watched for this with system monitor, it may just have been I missed the process however).

A google search revealed nothing. I found a couple of threads suggesting the same problem has cropped up before, but the details were a little scanty so I can't be sure. Have reinstalled also, again, no difference, Skype just will not run.

Also - how can it be that there are all these problems? I get it's in RC but surely since it's so close to official release it should be 100% (or as close to) stable and without issues? How can the simple switch from GNOME to KDE have caused this and a few of the other problems I've been having (other thread can be seen here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=92758)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hellonearth8X

Re: Skype, Linux Mint 12 KDE x64

Post by hellonearth8X »

I have the same problem like you too and Im searching for the solution but till now not found :|
hellonearth8X

Post by hellonearth8X »

solution found and problem solved :D

just do exactly the following steps :

- open Terminal

Code: Select all

- sudo apt-get remove skype

- cd

- wget http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/skype/skype_2.2.0.35-0natty1_amd64.deb

- sudo dpkg -i *.deb

- sudo apt-get install -f

- echo foreign-architecture i386 | sudo tee /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch

- sudo apt-get install libxss1:i386 libqtcore4:i386 libqt4-dbus:i386

- sudo apt-get install libqtgui4:i386

- exit Terminal
- open Skype and then ... Sign in :mrgreen:

Goodluck , dude :)
Last edited by hellonearth8X on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hellonearth8X

Post by hellonearth8X »

but this version of Skype is still not upgraded , and I dont know what will happen after upgrading Skype to new version ?
hellonearth8X

Post by hellonearth8X »

did the upgrade of Skype and Skype still runs normal :lol:
eru-iluvatar

Post by eru-iluvatar »

Thank you very much, this works for me too.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

hellonearth8X wrote:solution found and problem solved :D

- open Terminal

- cd

- wget http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/skype/skype_2.2.0.35-0natty1_amd64.deb

- sudo dpkg -i *.deb

- exit Terminal

I have the same problem, but I guess you won't get updates etc, when you install it manually this way... What's the problem in the first place? Why doesn't Skype work when you get it from the repos? Anyone?
hellonearth8X

Post by hellonearth8X »

Dry Lips wrote: I have the same problem, but I guess you won't get updates etc, when you install it manually this way... What's the problem in the first place? Why doesn't Skype work when you get it from the repos? Anyone?
after doing like what i said , i still get update normally .

Like what i know and heard , Skype runs normally in Ubuntu 11.10 ( Kubuntu 11.10 , Mint 12 KDE , ... ) 32bit , but the version 64bit of skype has some errors ( or something like this ) and this skype cannot run in 64bit normally .

before i've tried 2 different ways to install Skype : download directly from Skype website and install ( by Terminal and Software Manager ) from repos of Mint . But none of them works for me .

ps: sorry for my bad english :roll:
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

hellonearth8X wrote:
Dry Lips wrote: I have the same problem, but I guess you won't get updates etc, when you install it manually this way... What's the problem in the first place? Why doesn't Skype work when you get it from the repos? Anyone?
after doing like what i said , i still get update normally .

Like what i know and heard , Skype runs normally in Ubuntu 11.10 ( Kubuntu 11.10 , Mint 12 KDE , ... ) 32bit , but the version 64bit of skype has some errors ( or something like this ) and this skype cannot run in 64bit normally .

before i've tried 2 different ways to install Skype : download directly from Skype website and install ( by Terminal and Software Manager ) from repos of Mint . But none of them works for me .

ps: sorry for my bad english :roll:
Ok, I think you're right that there must be something wrong with the 64bit version of Skype. But you don't need to do all the steps you outlined above. You can simply install the 32 bit version of Skype from Synaptic.

1. Go to System> Synaptic Package Manager
2. Search for "skype".
3. Select skype:i386, right click and select "mark for installation".
4. Click "Apply"

Voila, your done!
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

This is have been a problem for a while. As mentioned in the posts, either

Synaptic Package Manager
uninstall skype
install skype:i386

or just add the missing packages

libxss1:i386
libqt4-core:i386
libqt4-gui:i386
libdbus-1-3:i386

Paste into terminal

sudo apt-get install libxss1:i386 libqt4-core:i386 libqt4-gui:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386
tahyk

Post by tahyk »

This is why there won't be EVER a year of the linux! This out-of-the-box Skype compatibility is still a major issue, which completely screws all my efforts to popularize linux always. Don't misunderstand me, I'm a big fan, I use Mint (9) on my office computer (with Crossover). But I can't even convince my wife, although I tried several times. The reason: Skype.
Companies will never adopt linux for various reasons, and home users will never adopt linux because of Skype.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

tahyk wrote:This is why there won't be EVER a year of the linux! This out-of-the-box Skype compatibility is still a major issue, which completely screws all my efforts to popularize linux always. Don't misunderstand me, I'm a big fan, I use Mint (9) on my office computer (with Crossover). But I can't even convince my wife, although I tried several times. The reason: Skype.
Companies will never adopt linux for various reasons, and home users will never adopt linux because of Skype.
Well, usually Skype works out of the box... This is an issue with the 64bit version of Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12.
AnecdotalRabbit

Post by AnecdotalRabbit »

Edit:
Silly Me.
A previous step removed my ldconfig.
If anyone else ends up having a similar problem then the solution is here:http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=3
hatool

Post by hatool »

hellonearth8X wrote:solution found and problem solved :D

- open Terminal

- cd

- sudo dpkg -i *.deb

- exit Terminal

Holly cra* dude, it worked!
mog.jpeg
Ajmartin2006

Post by Ajmartin2006 »

Using mint 12 right now, AND NONE OF THE SOLUTIONS HAVE WORKED FOR ME. :( It seems every time i try one of the terminal commands here, there is always a package missing from somewhere.

Return to “Software & Applications”