Differences between Mint LXDE and Lubuntu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peebz

Differences between Mint LXDE and Lubuntu

Post by peebz »

Hi all,

I'm currently using Lubuntu. Can anyone tell me the major differences between this and Mint LXDE please? Are there any benefits from switching to Mint LXDE?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Differences between Mint LXDE and Lubuntu

Post by seppalta »

I have used and still do use both Lubuntu 11.10 and Mint 11LXDE on different computers. For all practical purposes they are the same. Lubuntu comes slightly leaner, you will want to add startup manager if you dual boot, apt-xapian-index to get the nice search tool in Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Center if you want an alternative to Synaptic. The advantages for Lubuntu are a 64-bit install, quicker kernel, etc updates, my wine applications always perform flawlessly and the Ubuntu Software Center actually works. Mint LXDE software center freezes about one out of every three times while typing in the search box and 2 of my wine applications often have to be killed to shutdown. Also, Lubuntu 11.10 has the 3.0xx kernel which Mint 11 does not, but I think Mint 12 LXDE does.
peebz

Post by peebz »

Many thanks for that. Seems like I'm better staying with what I've got.

Cheers!
gothmog123

Post by gothmog123 »

Isn't the biggest difference that Mint LXDE is based on the main edition of Mint and NOT Lubuntu? Is this true or not?

If it is, it means Mint LXDE has the superior inner workings and hardware support of the mint main edition, and is more polished. Lubuntu is crap from this perpective because it's based on buggy Ubuntu.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

mint 11 LXDE was a troublesome release for me with many little quirks, I had to fiddle with it a lot and ended up installing ubuntu 11.04 over it.
now I look forward very much to mint 12 lxde, have been using mint 12 main edition with lxde installed on it and things are working well.

note that mint 11 is ubuntu 11.04 and mint 12 is ubuntu 11.10.

lubuntu is good but its theme hasn't been updated. really the looks are the biggest difference, then the fact that codecs, flash java are installed by default on mint.
I plan to refurbish many old PCs and install mint 12 lxde on it.

Return to “Software & Applications”