problems with network shares[solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
arta

problems with network shares[solved]

Post by arta »

I am using LMDE and have a problem mounting cifs network shares. I have tried the following commands without any luck.
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=art, password=****** //Freenas40/fn40drive2 /home/art/fn40drive2
and
sudo mount -t cifs //Freenas40/fn40drive2 -o username=art, password=****** /home/art/fn40drive2

The message I get with either of these commands is the same thing you get if you type "mount -V" which I think indicates a syntax error but I can't see any error. I can mount the share using the file manager but I want to make the connection in the /Home directory rather than on the desktop. I have install cifs-utils, smbclient and samba is installed.

Any insight will be appreciated,
If this message shows up twice I apologize. I thought I posted it before lunch but I searched and couldn't find it.

Thanks
Arta
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: problems with network shares

Post by DrHu »

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename -o username=winusername,password=winpassword,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
  • --from link above..
    You may also need a mode= command to be included: password protected method given above..
Same link, if you might want an icon to switch to the remote directory mount point, you could use /media mount location
  • By creating the mount point in the /media folder, you will get a nifty icon to appear on your desktop like when a cdrom mounts.
Also as I understand it, Gnome uses a gfvs connection as the mount location for remote directories..

And if you want it (remote share..) permanently available, you need to setup in /etc/fstab to include that connection
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: problems with network shares

Post by altair4 »

I can mount the share using the file manager but I want to make the connection in the /Home directory rather than on the desktop.
It already is mounted in your home directory. It's at: /home/art/.gvfs/fn40drive2 on Freenas40
If you have nothing in the .gvfs folder then you didn't add a package that debian does not have by default:
Linux Mint Debian Edition Prerequisites

You need to install one package:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
You need to add yourself to the fuse group:

sudo gpasswd -a your_user_name fuse
You need to logoff and login again for the group to actually change.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
arta

Re: problems with network shares[solved]

Post by arta »

Thanks for the help, Both methods worked. My next question may be how to structure the entry in fstab but I'll work on that before I bother you all again.

Again thanks for the help
Arta
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: problems with network shares[solved]

Post by altair4 »

Since 2 mount methods were presented to you there are 2 methods to have this automounted. One requires fstab and the other does not.

If you are going with something like this as a manual mount:
sudo mount -t cifs //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename -o username=winusername,password=winpassword,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
Then the syntax changes a bit in fstab:

//netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename cifs username=winusername,password=winpassword,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,_netdev 0 0
Note: you will need the _netdev option present to prevent the system from attemping to mount the remote share before your network is up.

If you are using the Nautilus method of mounting your remote shares there is a way to automount this process:

[1] The harder way: Auto Mount Samba Shares on Boot ( GVFS Method ): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42713

[2] The easiest way: Using Gigolo to Mount Remote Samba Shares: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144

I would argue that Gigolo has a lot of advantages in that it solves the 2 big issues with automounting remote shares - the target share is on a box that is not running when fstab is executed, and the target box is shut down before the client system shuts down and hence shutdown is stalled. The fstab method though is the traditional way.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”