[SOLVED] [site] Differences between versions?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
littlebigman

[SOLVED] [site] Differences between versions?

Post by littlebigman »

Hello,

I'm posting this in the forum since the e-mails in the "Contact" section aren't meant to send suggestions to the webmaster.

I was trying to find whether Mint is available in localized versions (eg. UI and keyboard support for French, as my users aren't comfortable with English), but didn't find an explanation about what the different releases are:
  • Linux Mint 12 LXDE
  • Linux Mint 12 KDE
  • Linux Mint 12
  • Linux Mint
  • Debian
The homepage doesn't say, neither do the About or the FAQ. As for Download, we have to choose between Linux Mint 12, Linux Mint, Debian.

I think it'd be useful to add a small explanation in the homepage about why Mint is available in different releases, each with its pros and cons.

HTH,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: [site] Differences between versions?

Post by nomko »

Linux Mint 12 LXDE => this is the Mint version with the LXDE desktop environment
Linux Mint 12 KDE => this is the Mint version with the KDE desktop environment
Linux Mint 12 => this is the Mint version with the Mate desktop environment (you can also switch to Gnome desktop)
Linux Mint Debian => this is the Mint version which is based on Debian

Some info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint.

Did you looked here also: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php?
littlebigman

Re: [site] Differences between versions?

Post by littlebigman »

Thanks for the tip. No, I didn't think about checking Wikipedia or the Document section to understand why Mint is available in several different versions.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”