Linux mint lxde 12 boot problem <SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GreatDanton

Linux mint lxde 12 boot problem <SOLVED>

Post by GreatDanton »

first of all i would like to apologize,
but iam new to linux, so i dont know where
to ask.

i have installed linux mint 12 lxde on
my old dell inspiron 1100 laptop.(512MB ram, intel celeron, 40GB HDD). i made
the boot disc and i have already installed
the software (linux mint 12 lxde). to this
part everything was just fine. (i installed
linux alognside win xp proffesional).

when i wanted to boot the linux from my hard
disk then there was problems. first time i
boot the linux there was just black screen
without anything on it. i restarted the computer
and second time i got a litle desktop with ghost image (there was coloured lines all over the
screen), but i can see the linux os. i
started with updating but nothing happened.

After that i got black screen again, and now i have black screen anytime i try to boot linux mint lxde 12 os.

I tryed with linux recovery but it doesnt work for me. do you have any sollutions?

Please let me know.

Great Danton
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux mint lxde 12 boot problem

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

I think your problem relates to the graphics on your machine. Please open a terminal and type in lspci and post the output. This will tell us the information that we need.

I have a Dell Inspiron 170L which has integrated graphics and I have been unable to run either Mint 11 or 12. I currently use Mint Debian which is very stable and runs perfectly.
GreatDanton

Post by GreatDanton »

Picture 0004.jpg
here is the picture
i hope you can read the informations you need.
if you dont please let me know and i will try to post another one.

Great Danton
GreatDanton

Post by GreatDanton »

Today i made another interesting thing. I boot Linux mint lxde 12 from cd (this cd i used for installation of linux os).
Linux os boot correctly, and the resolution was the resolution of my monitor(1024x768) and refresh rate 60Hz.It works perfectly. I can search on the internet, i can write in Abiword, I can change resolution,etc...Everything is fine.

Now, I have the question for people who uses Linux for a long time(I am new user :) ).
Why I cant boot from my Hard disk drive (black screen), but everything is perfect if I boot from CD?

Ps. If i boot from my Hard disk i see only black screen, but i can still open terminal, and work in it (i do not know the commands because iam new in Linux) , if i pres ctrl F1.
I am not sure if the problem is my integrated graphic card, or it is?
Is the problem causing the windows xp? (i have dual boot)

Solutions?

Great Danton
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I am still sure this is a graphics driver problem.

Out of interest I just downloaded the cd and tried to boot it on my Dell. It does not load. Looking at the Ubuntu site it would appear there is a driver available for your graphics. See if you can understand this post. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... tel+82845g

Edit: Tried to load it again and I am now posting this using the live cd. Graphics are good and speed is excellent. The live cd is using the Mesa driver 1.3 Mesa 7.11.
You can check this by running the system profiler.
GreatDanton

Post by GreatDanton »

I am not sure if I understand the post right. Is ubuntu simmilar to linux mint?
so if I understand right i have to type this:
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (than type this)
sudo gedit /usr/bin/xorg.conf (than type this)
sudo mkdir -p /root/.local/share

will this solve the problem?

Great Danton

Edit: Iam also using live cd when i am typing now:).
GreatDanton

Post by GreatDanton »

when i type gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
its says me: (gksudo:825): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

when i type: sudo mkdir -p /root/.local/share
nothing happened.

i also tryed this but i doesnt work for me: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=24768
GreatDanton

Linux Mint 12 lxde boot problem on intel inspiron 1100

Post by GreatDanton »

i think i made the topic on the wrong part of the forum, so now i post it here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=97182

this is the problem, can anybody solve this?

Great Danton
GreatDanton

Post by GreatDanton »

Yesterday i tried to reinstall linux mint (in windows i use computer management to erase the linux partition).
When i tried to start from scratch i found out that i cant solve grub problem. repairing windows dosnt work for me, also booting from live cd and solve grub does not work.

After that i boot from the lice cd, and install linux mint on the whole Hard disk.
I can say that now everything works fine (there is no windows on my Hard disk).

The only thing that is very annoying is that i cant boot directly from my Hard disk.If i try to boot directly from HDD, than i see the message there is nothing to boot from. The only way to start Linux mint is if i change my boot device to cd, and then press tab and choose the option which says Boot from Hard drive. Then i can use my Linux :).

Do anybody knows how to solve this problem, because i really dont want to boot everytime from cd and choose the boot from hard drive option.

Iam writing this on my Linux Mint lxde 12 :) booted from Hard disk.
Great Danton
GreatDanton

Re: Linux Mint 12 lxde boot problem on intel inspiron 1100

Post by GreatDanton »

Yesterday i tried to reinstall linux mint (in windows i use computer management to erase the linux partition).
When i tried to start from scratch i found out that i cant solve grub problem. repairing windows dosnt work for me, also booting from live cd and solve grub does not work.

After that i boot from the lice cd, and install linux mint on the whole Hard disk.
I can say that now everything works fine (there is no windows on my Hard disk).

The only thing that is very annoying is that i cant boot directly from my Hard disk.If i try to boot directly from HDD, than i see the message there is nothing to boot from. The only way to start Linux mint is if i change my boot device to cd, and then press tab and choose the option which says Boot from Hard drive. Then i can use my Linux :).

Do anybody knows how to solve this problem, because i really dont want to boot everytime from cd and choose the boot from hard drive option.

Iam writing this on my Linux Mint lxde 12 :) booted from Hard disk.
Great Danton
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Threads merged by moderator - same OP,same problem
GreatDanton

Re: Linux Mint 12 lxde boot problem

Post by GreatDanton »

Edit: the problem is not solved. :(. Now i can boot from the hard disk drive, without need of cd, but linux is booted only every second time. (i started computer and linux boots normaly (1-boot), then i make a shutdown (2-boot) and the linux wont start, but next time (3-boot) it also start normally.(also the desktop text is each time different, once is white, but once the text for desktop folder is black)

What is the reason for such strange behaviour?
GreatDanton

Post by GreatDanton »

The problem is solved :)
I installed linux mint xubuntu 10.04 and now everything is running perfect.
No problems anymore!

Return to “Software & Applications”