Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sunewbie

Re: Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint

Post by sunewbie »

nppeds05 wrote:anyone please, i have downloaded mint 11 katya. to dvd. everytime i have no luck, just boots directly to windows. i even went to computer store, they downloaded to dvd. and once again nothing.
Did you change the bios setting. You need to change boot order priority. Generally hard disk is set to boot.

change it to
1. CD/DVD
2. hard disk.

You can keep this config. If there is no CD in CD drive, it will boot from hard disk.

Incase you do not know how to change BIOS:

To enter into Bios, you have to press [F2] or [F12] or [Delete] as soon as to press power button. Correct option depends upon motherboard (which contains bios) For me, I have GigaByte Motherboard and [F2] works on me. Initially for 2 seconds, there is a splash screen (before boot loader or before windows starts to boot) which indicates which is the shortcut to enter into bios config. If you miss it, you need to reboot and keep pressing that key. if the screen stays for a very short time (not enough to read the shortcut) you can press [pause] or [pause break] key. After reading the key binding (shortcut key) again press [pause] key to resume and quickly press shortcut key for BIOS.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Please consider adding instructions about how to create bootable USB drive from both Linux and Windows in the Mint User Guide. - Page 10

If the screen stays for a very short time (not enough to read the shortcut) you can press [pause] or [pause break] key. After reading the key binding (shortcut key) again press [pause] key to resume and quickly press shortcut key for BIOS.

Also consider explaining the instruction on how to enable USB booting.

Guide is very helpful.

Thanks
GarryRicketson

Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, I just downloaded the Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint, shown in the first post,..I actually may have downloaded it before and don't remember, Ok so I promise I am going to read it, however at the moment, I feel the need to ask this,before I lose track, and forget, also, I have installed Linux Mint 10 to a portable USB HD, it is working sort of, almost pretty good, I have and use Linux Mint 10 on my computer, and it is now about 2 months that I have been useing it, LOVE it!,...Ok well what I am trying to do is "build", or customized, things, on my USB HD,..so far I am happy with what I have, but it needs work, it boots, but it "freezes" on GUI screen when the Welcome to Linux Mint logo,
never going on to the login, etc, hence, no menu, etc,...ok thats ok, and not important, nor the issue really,...what happened is, I typed ctrl-alt-supr-(forgot the next), or ctrl-alt-something, and got the terminal command prompt, where I was able to login just fine, evrything seems to be running fine, and for the moment, thats fine, I am happy working from the terminal, the problem is , I don't remember for sure, what ctrl-alt-(unknown), combination, I used! It happened by luck and accident,... so simpley, What key combination will make it start in the terminal mode, or bring up the terminal ?,...
In the meanwhle I will look thru this "guide" too,..
thanks from Garry (semi newbie)
P-S. my keyboard is a spanish key board,...
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

GarryRicketson wrote:..so far I am happy with what I have, but it needs work, it boots, but it "freezes" on GUI screen when the Welcome to Linux Mint logo,
never going on to the login, etc, hence, no menu, etc,...ok thats ok, and not important, nor the issue really,...what happened is, I typed ctrl-alt-supr-(forgot the next), or ctrl-alt-something, and got the terminal command prompt, where I was able to login just fine, evrything seems to be running fine, and for the moment, thats fine, I am happy working from the terminal, the problem is , I don't remember for sure, what ctrl-alt-(unknown), combination, I used! It happened by luck and accident,... so simpley, What key combination will make it start in the terminal mode, or bring up the terminal ?,...

P-S. my keyboard is a spanish key board,...
Shortcut for terminal is Atl+Ctrl+t

:)

EDIT: It works for English keyboard

Alternatively, you can search on net, 'shortcut for terminal'
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Please note that this is a guide and not a support thread.

Please post it in appropriate forums newbie / networking / hardware related. If you are not sure where to post, newbie section is the best place. You are more likely to get help.
johnwill

Post by johnwill »

Hello.
I am interested in installing Linux Mint, but am wary of creating a partition on my Windows 7 system ( the joys of age as my grandchildren inform me)
I have a live DVD of Linux Mint 12, is there a simple guide to allowing this to boot without losing windows.
Thank you.
Johnwill
johnwill

Post by johnwill »

Thank you for prompt reply, will go to link
Johnwill :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You'll find it in the first post on the first page of this topic.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I have downloaded the KDE Desktop Lisa Edition. The manual link you provided only covers the Gnome Desktop Edition. Does the KDE Desktop have a pdf link for a users manual?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The basic stuff described in the user manual is pretty much the same for both editions, and if things differ you can always ask it on the forum or in the chat.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
No Face

Post by No Face »

Hi I just want to upgrade my current install of Linux Mint 11 to Linux Mint 12 I have a disk from Linux Pro Magazine but I do not want to overwrite my current load just upgrade it if that is possible. Thank you so much!

Return to “Beginner Questions”