Will not save mouse settings

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jwandta

Will not save mouse settings

Post by jwandta »

Every time I reboot I loose my mouse settings. Any one know what the fix is?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bugreprt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Will not save mouse settings

Post by bugreprt »

I have this problem as well! Please, someone help.
luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

I was having same problem with lxde 11 maybe this will help http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p395991
dxrobertson

Post by dxrobertson »

When you make changes to the keyboard or mouse via Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse; the changes are saved in 2 files name "sms" for the mouse, and "sks" for the keyboard. These script files are then run to set the mouse and keyboard settings. Problem is that they are NOT run at each boot so the settings are not remembered.

To fix this myself, I added a desktop file to the autostart directory to run the sms script file (I dont have any custom keyboard settings). Desktop files in the autostart directory will run at each login. The autostart directory is located at /home/yourhome/.config/autostart, for "yourhome" being your own home directory name. The autostart directory was not created by default, so you may need to create it (use pcmanfm, right-click, create new-folder....).

!st, go ahead and make your mouse changes via Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse to create your sms file.

The desktop file I use is pasted below, make sure you replace "yourhome" with you actual home directory name. The Exec line is the important part of this file, it is what runs the sms script file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=sms
Comment=set synclient
Exec=/home/yourhome/.linuxmint/sms
Icon=mouse
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name[en_US]=sms

Something else odd is that if you run Keyboard and Mouse again, the settings are not reflected there either. The mouse-keyboard application could probably use some minor improvements in this area.

Return to “Software & Applications”