mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Post by belovedmonster »

Kynan wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:Clem, please make the uninstall option more safe by not allowing people to uninstall parts needed by other apps!
yes please! its rather scary at the moment hehehe just take a look at the screenshot of me attempting to uninstall rhythmbox...
Lol. Me thinks you don't wanna remove gnome, that is probably pretty useful to leave installed :wink:
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

mintMenu problem, replicated on two different installs.
After install, Digikam will not open from the menu--will not launch from either "all programs" nor favorites. Works with the Main GNOME Bar, works from command line. Attempted uninstall/reinstall Digikam--with reboot in between. Attempted removal of Digikam preferences. Attempted removal of mintMenu preferences.
Rolled back to mintMenu 3.0.

Great job on the added features, love the drag and drop and uninstall options--
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I had quite some problems on my system which were over after uninstalling the mintmenu beta. The problem was that after starting the system menus would treat hovering as clicking on things and that led to quite a headache (if i tried to drag something it would instead open hundreds of instances of that program or folder). I had to kill nautilus from the terminal, then it restarted itself and then things worked ok. Anyway, uninstalling mintmenu 3.1 fixed the issue.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far. The "uninstall" feature relies on the output of "apt rdepends rhythmbox" to find the packages which will be removed... however if you perform an "apt remove rhythmbox" you can see there is far less dependencies (if any). So that's a bug if we can't rely on apt rdepends we'll find some other way to list dependencies.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I could also reproduce the problem with digikam.. and I'll have that fixed in version 3.2.

Clem
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Looks nice.

FWIW though, my quit button hasn't worked in quite sometime, even before updating mintMenu. I just never quit, problem solved.

One thing I haven't figure out yet on Daryna, neither the old mintmenu nor this version lists Crossover Office or its installed apps. I manually created a desktop launcher to CO but is it possible to have the CO menu entries like in KDE....?
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

sundayrefugee wrote:MintMenu 3.1 is running at 28 megabytes. Methinks there still be memory leaks :-(
:shock:
34.6 megs here!

Wow, it really is hogging resources. I've also noticed now my menu doesn't close itself after I click on an app to start, I have to click off the menu somewhere....like the desktop.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The memory problem is something to do with python not freeing up memory.. same problem with mintupdate. Apparently python devs don't see it as a problem so it's not likely to get fixed. I might use a workaround or rewrite parts of these tools in a different language (I'm a bit fed up with the no_line_separator and corrupted_identation stories as well to be honest... not the best language I ever had to use if you ask me). I've got a lot of experience with java and I'm also interested in looking at the possibility to use Perl. We'll see about this anyway... and whatever solution is chosen we'll still use GTK as the GUI API so as users you won't see any difference :)

For the reverse dependencies, apparently we need to use another tool... the good news is that we might end up with a graphical representation of the dependencies :) That could be very cool. Check apt-rdepends on google.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'm working on the logout problem and I can't reproduce it... can people having this problem try the following and tell me if it works:

- click on "quit" in mintmenu
- confirm that nothing happens
- Open a terminal
- type "gnome-session-save --kill" and enter.
- confirm that the logout dialog appears
- close the dialog
- press ALT+F1 and choose "quit"
- confirm that the dialog appears again.

Thanks,
hopefully with your help on this we'll have that fixed in mintmenu 3.2
Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Are you working on a fix for the menu with compiz and ccsm running?

the output I get is,

(gnome-session-save:6700): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Could not open network socket.
Could not connect to the session manager

Alt + F1 works fine.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I like it, it works ok for me, but I have some issues at the moment.
The outer border is marked with a black line/blue line, but I also have Recent documents activated, but I mostly just open it when I need it, I think it is too big with it activated, but then the outer border is not marked at applications. Hard to explain, but I couldn't get a screen shot while mintMenu was open?
Second, some times it is a bit unresponsive, and takes almost a minute after pressing on the application till the application launches..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Kynan wrote: you can get a screenshot while mintmenu is open by using the screenshot app in daryna>accessories>screencapture then set the time limit to say 10seconds and it will do it. or you can do it in gimp also with a time delay. :)

as for the boarder try setting in preferences to boarder width 0 im not 100% sure what you mean tho..
Of course, simple solution is always the best :) If you look at the border to the right on the image
and compare it with the border to the right on this:
The same menu, just with recent documents closed, then the border disappears...
--Dean Martin
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Magnus,

I can see the problem on your screenshot but it doesn't happen on my system. Can you try with the default Linux Mint theme to see if it's related? do other people experience this problem? Did you clear gconf and your .linuxmint/mintMenu directory as mentioned in the first post?

Can you remove the recent documents plugin, then launch gconf-editor and see the value for /apps/mintMenu/plugins_list? It should end up with "applications]", not "newpane]".

Clem
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

The problem persists even with Daryna theme. And I followed the first post step by step when installing. I could try to remove and install it again, though.. I was thinking about re installing Mint due to some unrelated problems..
And /apps/mintMenu/plugins_list say [newpane,places,system_management,newpane,applications] without recent document, with recent documents activated it say [newpane,places,system_management,newpane,applications,newpane,recent], even though I have closed it to the sidepanel. I want it available, but only visible when I need it. It is not a major issue though, but it makes the menu look "cutted"..
--Dean Martin
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Oh... ok, I understand now. The recent plugin is actually activated but hidden... so applications doesn't show a border since it's not last in the list :) This is going to be hard to fix... a workaround would be to change the order by interverting applications and recent in plugins_list. It would let you hide recent without affecting the border... however when recent would be there, it wouldn't be on the right, but in the middle.

I'm not completely happy with the size and the position of the recent plugin anyway and in the long term I will definitely think of a way to have it available from a click of the mouse as some kind of popup list or on demand feature.

Clem
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

clem wrote:I'm working on the logout problem and I can't reproduce it... can people having this problem try the following and tell me if it works:

- click on "quit" in mintmenu
- confirm that nothing happens
- Open a terminal
- confirm that the logout dialog appears
- close the dialog
- press ALT+F1 and choose "quit"
- confirm that the dialog appears again.

Thanks,
hopefully with your help on this we'll have that fixed in mintmenu 3.2
Clem
My laptop returns the following.....

Code: Select all

gnome-session-save --kill

(gnome-session-save:8346): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Could not open network socket.
Could not connect to the session manager
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

clem wrote:Oh... ok, I understand now. The recent plugin is actually activated but hidden... so applications doesn't show a border since it's not last in the list :) This is going to be hard to fix... a workaround would be to change the order by interverting applications and recent in plugins_list. It would let you hide recent without affecting the border... however when recent would be there, it wouldn't be on the right, but in the middle.

I'm not completely happy with the size and the position of the recent plugin anyway and in the long term I will definitely think of a way to have it available from a click of the mouse as some kind of popup list or on demand feature.

Clem
Yeah, it was a bad explanation.. I was thinking about changing the position, but I am lazy. As for the other problem I was experiencing is far more urgent: Some times it is a delay for 10 - 30 seconds after I press on a launcher until it actually launch.
--Dean Martin
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

For those of you who have been testing the new Mintmenu...

Does it allow me to customise it more than I could in previous versions? I have been playing around with Fluxbox and XFCE this weekend and while having to manually do the menus rather than drag and drop was a pain in the butt at first I soon found that the menu was set up exactly how I wanted it. Coming back to Mintmenu felt like I had no control. I wanna be able to change the layout of the different sections.

Secondly, I found the XFCE menu the perfect size to be able to get to the option you wanted super fast, where as the Mintmenu in comparison seems huge. Have you seen how massive the gaps are between the different apps? And everything gets even more huge when you switch to favourites mode and each app takes up twice the width. I'd like to be able to make everything smaller.

Thirdly, I find having the apps on the right and the other stuff on the left is the wrong way around for me. It means I have to move my mouse left to the start menu then move it back to right again to get to the apps. Being able to go left and then straight up is such a better feeling gesture and is so much faster to get to your apps.

Is it able for me to adjust these things?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

belovedmonster wrote:For those of you who have been testing the new Mintmenu...

Does it allow me to customise it more than I could in previous versions? I have been playing around with Fluxbox and XFCE this weekend and while having to manually do the menus rather than drag and drop was a pain in the butt at first I soon found that the menu was set up exactly how I wanted it. Coming back to Mintmenu felt like I had no control. I wanna be able to change the layout of the different sections.

Secondly, I found the XFCE menu the perfect size to be able to get to the option you wanted super fast, where as the Mintmenu in comparison seems huge. Have you seen how massive the gaps are between the different apps? And everything gets even more huge when you switch to favourites mode and each app takes up twice the width. I'd like to be able to make everything smaller.

Thirdly, I find having the apps on the right and the other stuff on the left is the wrong way around for me. It means I have to move my mouse left to the start menu then move it back to right again to get to the apps. Being able to go left and then straight up is such a better feeling gesture and is so much faster to get to your apps.

Is it able for me to adjust these things?
...or just use the regular Gnome Menu and edit that! :roll: :?
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I like the slab, I just dont see why the icons have to be so huge and why I cant customize it more.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”