Laptop Volume buttons

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop Volume buttons

Post by flammenwurfer »

Ok. I reported that they weren't working in the bug-reporting thread.

But in the interesting of helping pinpoint the problem quicker, does anybody else have volume buttons on their laptop that don't work?

Also, does anybody know what file/app/etc... the settings to make these work are located?

Thanks.

PS - My laptop is a Lenovo N100
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
leaston.h

Re: Laptop Volume buttons

Post by leaston.h »

Do you mean dedicated hardware buttons or the volume controls usually accessed by holding the "Fn" button along with F1-F12?
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

Sorry. I mean dedicated hardware buttons.

Which worked perfectly in Cassandra KDE.
leaston.h

Post by leaston.h »

I thought that's what you probably meant. Unfortunately, I can't help test this as my laptop doesn't have the hardware buttons. Sorry.
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

Fabulous! I figured it out. I don't know why I didn't think to try this before.

I just went into Kmix and went to Settings>Configure Global Shortcuts. I clicked on each command (raise volume, lower volume, and mute) and then pressed the hardware button to assign it to. Restarted X and it worked!

I don't know if this method will work with all laptops or not, but it worked for me. :)
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

Ok, I was really excited that I figured it out. I get home from work where I have wireless internet and install all the updates that minUpdate tells me are available and now they volume buttons don't work. The global shortcuts are still configured to what they were after i got them working, but it's not recognizing the button presses now.

Does anybody know what package in that update could have screwed it up?
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

Alright, so I was wrong. The volume buttons are working still, however the on-screen volume graphic isn't showing up when I change the volume.

Does anybody know where the on-screen volume display settings are located so i can turn it back on?
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

After some more messing around I just did a fresh re-install and retraced my steps. I think what I did the first time was I installed all the updates in minUpdate, THEN I was playing around in Adept and I did the "Full Upgrade" which is what nixed my volume OSD, although the volume controls still worked.

This time I just installed the updates and did NOT do the "Full Upgrade" and the volume buttons and OSD still work.

One other thing I figured out while trying to fix it was that KMilo is the package responsible for the special buttons and/or the volume OSD. I'm still a little confused on exactly what KMilo does but I know it's involved somehow. If anybody wants to explain it to me further that'd be sweet.

In conclusion, I had a good time troubleshooting with myself and hopefully this helps in the development or atleast helps somebody that has the same problem in the future.

Peace
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

One more update. Sorry!

The volume OSD was still working after I had installed all the updates last night. However, upon restarting the laptop today, it has disappeared again. I believe it is one of the kde packages that were in the updates that is causing this, but I'm not sure which one, or what would fix it. Again, the buttons still function correctly it's just the volume OSD that goes away. I'll do some more fooling around tonight and see if I can't get it working again.

Ok, I'll stop rambling now. I feel like this forum has been my personal journal lately! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”